ua208a

Is there a suitable modern replacement for the ua208a TO-99 can-type op amp as used in e.g. the HP oven oscillators, that's available and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Probably less expensive to just buy another module, maybe

Reply to
bitrex

Have you tried Fairchild directly? They may have attic stock somewhere.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

I haven't. Rochester has some possibly appropriate subs but there's relatively large minimum quantities:

I'd tend to guess anyone with "attic stock" doesn't want to deal in onsies and twosies, either.

This site lets you add onsies and twosies to the cart of Rochester items but seems a bit sus:

And there's always fleabay mystery meat:

Finding a sub among other things means it's specced to the mil temperature range, -55 to 125 C. A cool thing about the CA3140 is most variants in DIP have that spec which I believe is a little unusual, unfortunately since it's a FET input even the boutique grade of it has offset voltage too high.

Reply to
bitrex

My experience has been exactly the opposite. Worth a shot in any case.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Oh nice, OK good to know thank you

Reply to
bitrex

I think this is just the Fairchild equivalent of the National LM108/2008/308 series, with the LM108 being the high-spec version and the LM208 and LM308 being cheaper versions. The LM part numbers are readily available on the bay and probably from your favorite surplus electronics dealer (especially if the LM308 is good enough for you).

Reply to
jfeng

It's pretty close, though the 208 has tighter V offset max, 0.5 mV vs 2.

Under the circumstances (of it not being the year 1980, say) the 108 might be the best compromise

Reply to
bitrex

There are also plenty of more modern high-spec single op amps in small SOIC-8 and DIP-8 packages. Brown Dog makes an adapter (020601A) which accepts a DIP-8 IC, and converts to a TO-99 circular pinout pattern; you can buy it either with or without pins installed for the TO-99, and with or without a socket.

The ua208a has provisions for a compensation capacitor; you might find that modern unity-gain-stable op amps are fast enough and stable enough that you could simply ignore this (leave the TO-99 pins unconnected).

Reply to
Dave Platt

That'd be a helpful tool

OPA228PA is a nice precision OA with the mil spec temperature range:

bitrex