Supper Cooling Radion GPU in HP Pavilion tx2350ea Laptop - How to ?

Hi all,

I have this Laptop which has given up the ghost immediately two days after its warranty expiring. To cut the long story short, I have ordered another mobo. The original heat sink method for GPU on this mobo is thermal pad which I think is very inefficient, causing lots of laptop failure and HP has, I believe withdrawn this laptop from the market.

There is a gap of about 1mm between the GPU and heat sink, and the surface of the heat sink is not flat for the obvious reason that it is meant for thermal pad.

What alternative I have for cooling the GPU more effeciently ? Is it possible to fill the gap with some thermal compound which would not run or blead. Or reduce the gap with a copper shim and use thermal paste on either side. Resurfacing the original heat sink surface is not an option.

Appreciate your thoughts on it.

Reply to
mbegz

Direct contact with an even thin film of past is always the best. Whatever you can do to approximate that would be the best solution. I find it hard to believe there was a 1mm gap between the sink and the top of the cpu, that's insanity.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It's not unusual for Theta cs (thermal resistance, case to sink) to be lower with a good silicone pad than with that "goo".

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Well it's just the tip of the iceburg. This has been industry practice for at least 5 years now. They use a boron impregnated rubber pad to ease their quick assembly builds and make careful surfacing of the heatsink assembly unnecessary also it's street labor friendly for the building.

That is why there are so many ads for the copper shims on ebay and others to replace the rubber goo.

The iceberg is the BGA mounting system which is totally ridiculous and unreliable to the point of planned obsolescence run rampant. You simply can't expect an inflexible ball of tin to manage the stresses of heat shock and vibration without cracking and becoming unreliable.

The sea floating the iceberg is the elimination of lead from the solder resulting in brittle easily fractured connections especially in the size range of the solder balls that they use as pins on the leadless intergrated circuits.

It's a designed for failure by it's very nature. Along with poor ventilation (a laptop by nature should be able to rest on your lap without overheating ) and then the easily clogged barely sufficient heatsink assemblies. It's no wonder most die shortly after warranty.

Ah planned obsolescence, a wonderful profit generator for the makers and a fist to the face of the consumers.

Gnack

Reply to
Gnack Nol