Seriesed battery cells irregular charging

Silly wind-up torch but could be anything using Ni-Cad or ni-Mh multi-cells. LEDs are full bright for a short time after winding up , then drops to low light level, regardless of amount of winding beforehand. One cell is out of kilter with the rest, and in use discharges quickly compared to the others. Bench ps charging that one , in isolation, cures the problem. But presumably it may return , unbalanced charge/discharge across the cells. How to do the isolated charging of one cell properly, the next time in the way of monitoring voltages and charge currents ?

Reply to
N_Cook

The one i bought was total crap - you can get them with a charging jack, they might be less of a disaster.

Reply to
Ian Field

likely discharge in the cell from a dendrite. If so the cell's at end of life.

The easiest way is just overcharge them, but it must be done at slow charge, ie 16hr charge rate.

The practical answer is new cells. They're very cheap.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not a dendrite problem,not dropped to zero, just gone out of kilter.

16 hour charge time for 30 hours or so , for all 3 in series, makes sense, the next time. 3x 20mAh (not 200mAh) Ni-MH cells, very small , for a tiny pocket size version. Other than 9V pp3 and robbing 3 cells, I'm not aware they are sensibly (ie not 1000 minimum) available, even then pp3 ones are about 10 times too big. I was thinking of a 5V supercap might work as a replacement, if necessary
Reply to
N_Cook

I now see 3cell 20mAh NiMH are easily available, but if there is a next time I'll first try 5.6V (small diode in the charging line as-is)zener over the motor and a 5V supercap of similar volume

Reply to
N_Cook

N_Cook wrote on 9/26/2017 2:22 PM:

Stick to lights with one cell.