Samsusng MW21310 repair

Here at work our little Samsung microwave was cooking away and then just quit. Upon investigating it, I find the fuse blown. Ok, then check the door switches - all 3 ok. I have put a copy of the schematic at

.

If I replace the 15A fuse with a little larger one, it will come on but with an abnormally loud hum. If I unplug the magnetron by pulling the wire from the FA terminal, the excessive hum is still there, which to me means that the magnetron isn't the cause of the problem here. If I lift the rectifier ground, then the hum stops. The rectifier isn't shorted, but I also can't test it with my Fluke meter as it reads open both directions. But the spec sheet on the rectifier says it needs 14 volts to pass through it, and my meter only has a 9 v battery. When I measure the cap, I get .2 ohms across it, which tells me it is shorted unless there's something special about it that I don't understand.

Sound reasonable?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

The capacitor is shorted. I have a whole pile of microwave parts, if you want a good used capacitor, just email me with the value and approximate physical size and I'll send you something that should work for the cost of postage.

Reply to
James Sweet

The cap is shorted

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks guys - I'll pull it out tonight to see what it is.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Here is a pic of the cap. It is the classic obround shape, with the width of 51mm and the thickness of 31mm on the body of the can. See if you have something like that.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Which is probably a good thing or the OP might easily have fritzed himself!

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I found one here so no need to look. Thanks anyway.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

We are up and running again - the cap it was.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany