Philips TV VCR combo unit pops fuses

Got this from a friend who found it standing at the trash. Very recent model so worth fixing. Bridge rectifier had 2 diodes shorted, replaced all 4 to make sure. Measuring other parts in the primary section, no shorts. Plugged unit in and bang, fuse in bits. Strange but in the input is no short, so fault on the secondary side? Is it possible that a seconday power supply fault causes the fuse to pop with such a laud bang? Any pointers i should look at, i will check diodes, zeners, transistors and HOT just now. Anything i may be missing? Yes, checked the filter cap, is fine.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
bart bervoets

bart bervoets wrote in , on

3/08/2005, H. Lydia

IMHO you should use the power supply repair kit fot this set, Bart. I can not imagine that this would be caused by a fault in the secondary side. Should be in the power supply, switch transistors etc. All the needed parts are in the kit for your specific set :-)

I'm on hollydays, so can't check the schematic.

Groetjes,

--
Alain (Albé) For Usenet : Reply-to is valid (only 4 days !)
MesNews translators team

Checked all zeners, transistors... all fine. Found HOT shorted, so seems problem IS on secondary side anyway. How high is the chance that shorted HOT means bad LOPT on this chassis? LOPT number is ov2094/09

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Bart Bervoets wrote in , on

4/08/2005, H. Jean-Marie Vianney

Mostly the HOT and the surrounding capacitors but I had sometimes to replace the LOT, let's say...25% or less :-)

The + voltage is ok when you remove the HOT?

There is also a line kit for that set, without LOT.

--
Alain.  For Newsgroups : Reply-to is valid (only 4 days !)
MesNews translators team
http://home.tiscali.be/a.beguin
Reply to
Alain Beguin

I found a capacitor burned/partially shorted in primary power supply. Type is 471K 1KV, i want to replace with 471K 2KV, is that ok? Cannot find other fault, HOT was fine after all, battery multimeter flat caused faulty reading. Can this be all?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

You could start by mentioning a model number. If it is a Funai made unit, it is mostly trash anyway so may not be worth repairing. If it's a Philips built unit however, repairing can be worthwile. You could also try consulting nl.hobby.electronika

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

That will be fine. Maybe also replace the switching FET, as a problem with this capacitor could blow it up.

P.S. I think you indeed have a real Philips set, so it's worth the repairs.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Well, FET checks fine when measuring, not shorted or open, replace anyway? Yes, this is a real philips set, also definitly not old and very clean. Too good for the dump. Found a nice pIV laptop at the dump a few days ago! Only problem was a blown smd fuse on the power input. Someone took the harddisk but i had one. Has 512mb ddr400 and dvd-cdrw drive, wireless lan, modem... Very lucky find.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Bart Bervoets wrote in , on

5/08/2005, H. Abel

Of course, that is fine. Is it one of those little round blue ones? They are really very bad :-(

--
Alain.  For Newsgroups : Reply-to is valid (only 4 days !)
MesNews translators team
http://home.tiscali.be/a.beguin
Reply to
Alain Beguin

Sort of, little blue ball on legs, not like the usual capacitor, i'v put another one in and will try it again.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

The tv works! Thanks for the help all. Another little bit of the planet saved :)

Bart Bervoets schreef in berichtnieuws

739ac$42f3a6b8$82a12456$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.tudelft.nl...

and

Reply to