Output transformer ambiguity

Hello:

I have a tube radio to repair. It's output valve is an ELL80 (two EL95 in one tube) and was broken at the base and the socket showed signs of overheat and cold solder joints. I have the valve on order but when checking the output transformers (it has 2) onde of them has a primary resistance of ~900ohm and the other ~4000 ohm. I measured the turns ratio using a signal generator at 1khz and got 45,6 and 46,0 which squared and multiplied by the speakers output impedance (5ohm) gives ~10kohms which is the expected impedance for the ELL80. Given all this info how can i check which transformer is bad? they both drive an speaker just fine using the Sig. Gen. but i can't believe they can have such different dc resistance.

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

Steve Sousa

Reply to
Steve Sousa

That's a heck of a difference in DC resistance. If you drive both with a sig generator and look at the secondaries on a scope is there a big difference in the signal amplitude between the two? If not I would be inclined to replace the tube and take some voltages while the circuit is live while monitoring the plate currents. You can look here for operational voltages and currents in different classes of operation:

Meat Plow

"Steve Sousa"

** Assuming the transformers are the same size and do the same job, the one with the 4000 ohm primary is stuffed.
** Do not use a comma for the decimal point - it is way too confusing.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Steve Sousa"

** Assuming the transformers are the same size and do the same job, the one with the 4000 ohm primary is stuffed.
** Do not use a comma for the decimal point - it is way too confusing.

..... Phil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Most of the world uses a comma as a decimal point. The US and Canada are about the only ones that use a period.

Reply to
Brenda Ann

"Brenda Ann" "Phil Allison"

** Bullshit.

** Virtually the entire English speaking world uses the period.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Regarded as you most affluent reply :)

Meat Plow

** Bullshit.

** Virtually the entire English speaking world uses the period.

..... Phil

Countries where a comma is used to mark the radix point include:

Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada (French-speaking), Costa Rica, Croatia (comma used officially, but both forms are in use elsewhere), Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Faroes, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Iceland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg (uses both separators officially), Macedonia, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa (officially, but dot point is commonly used in business, even though South Africa used to be in the British Empire, which is considered to be strange by quite a few people in Britain), Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam.

Reply to
Brenda Ann

"Brenda Ann is another autistic f****it"

** Bullshit.

** Virtually the entire English speaking world uses the period.

Thank you for your post that proved the above point beyond any doubt.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Did you collect country names at random? Netherlands uses the comma only in text, never to indicate fractions.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

On 11/23/2010 6:35 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

But we're not talking about fractions; we're talking about decimals.

Or are those terms equivalent in your country?

David Nebenzahl

Brenda, you're wasting your time trying to converse with Phil. He is a mentally ill character in Australia, who frequently stops taking his medication.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Decimal is a type of fraction. That still does not explain the random selection of country's, unless one really likes to conduct a shitty discussion.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Decimal is a type of fraction. That still does not explain the random selection of country's, unless one really likes to conduct a shitty discussion.

The list is not random, and is found on many sites regarding finance, etc. The site this particular list is from is:

Brenda Ann

On 11/23/2010 8:10 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

Technically, yes. But if you say (or write) "fraction", most English speakers expect something in the form x/y, not x.y or x,y.

In other words, decimals are special cases of fractions, with their own formatting.

David Nebenzahl

in

one

------

If the 4000 ohm one is shot then it should vary considerably with heating and knocking. Hot air gun and a mallet. What is the amp ? (sorry if included in the unread usual threaded diahrhoea)

Reply to
N_Cook

If the 900 ohm one was shot then it implies some shorted turns that is unlikely to change with heat and/or vibration

Reply to
N_Cook

Hello

Wouldn't it be possible to have an original 4000ohm shorted to 900ohm too?

Best Regards

Reply to
Steve Sousa

Hello:

the amp is a grundig como e/st, you can see a picture and the schematic at

i haven't removed the transformers because they are soldered to the chassis! (the metal bracket is soldered to the chassis *and* the pcb)

Reply to
Steve Sousa

hello:

there was about half division difference on the scope. I was trying to avoid testing with the valve because it's expensive and "rare" i don't want to take much risks....

Reply to
Steve Sousa

chassis!

Do the 2 in one output valves mean the amp is compact size? I know an intermittent break in low impedance side of output Tx can lead to valve failure but does intermittant high imp side harm the drive valves? The Tx numbers matching on that schematic confirms they should be to within about 5 percent the same measurements

Reply to
N_Cook