Muffled TV audio - Philips TDA9380 IC

Suuure you were....

Reply to
jamie powell

Don't waste your time on him. He needs his glass belly button polished so he can see what is going on. That also explains the 'muffled sound'.

I had to laugh at his concept of intercarrier buzz. I doubt he has a clue as to what causes it, or what was done to correct it on TVs for 50 or more years.

Michael A. Terrell

Gee, you're a real charmer.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

LOL

Well back in the 70's my best friend's father was selling and repairing television. I repaired my first Quasar 'Works in a Drawer' with him looking over my shoulder.

In the 80's I worked for a warranty repair facility and was responsible for 19" < sets.

I think Jamie's original post was merely bait. To get noticed and then to cry 'victim.'

EOS.

Reply to
Meat Plow

telephones

My family bought one of the first three Quasar 'Works in a Drawer' sets that were delivered to the shop I worked while I was still in school. It is sitting in my garage and still worked when I put it there. It was upgraded to a Channel Master 25VAXP22 black matrix CRT when the original 23EGP22 became too bad to watch.

I had moved on to broadcast engineering, and doing industrial electronics, by then. Do you remember when the first character generators hit the TV stations, and all the problems with intercarrier buzz?

There is more and more of that crap on a lot of newsgroups. :(

Michael A. Terrell

telephones

by

by

I ended up with one a customer left at the store then left town after it was repaired. I paid cost for the parts and had that set for another 10 years.

Vaguely. But then I remember so many problems with specific chassis that I repaired under warranty it kind of clouds the memory. Like GE and their first VIR sets. Holy shit did I see a lot of those with crappy soldered pass through eyelets. Can't remember the chassis number range off the top of my head but anyone who did GE back in the

80s will remember them.

Fun sets to work on (for me) were the older RCA with SCR trace/retrace flyback or sawtooth scan for HV. One in particular that I had to replace the devices and tuning caps about once a year for almost

6 years until the old fella who owned it finally died himself. Couldn't restart his SCR after his HV failed, heh. Sorry that was an old shop joke.

Yeh but makes it easy to spot posers.

Reply to
Meat Plow

telephones

over by

the

people's

over by

We didn't see a lot of newer GE sets. Zenith, RCA & Philco were the three biggest sellers in the area.

I saw a few of those, just before I left TV repair for good. I've repaired exactly ONE TV since then, but I repaired so many monitors that I've lost count. The intercarrier buzz was a problem, because most techs would crank the AGC as high as they could, before overload. The character generators pushed the video to the lower limit in the baseband, and some went below that because of poor DC offset. That caused the AGC to raise the gain a percent or two, causing a loud buzz, or distortion. Of course, you couldn't convince the old timers, or gypsies of the cause. We saw lots of sets that had been in other shops for the problem. If it was carried in, we would just reset the level for free and send them on their way with a warning to avoid shops that didn't keep up with the factory training. We got a lot of shocked looks and repeat business, when they needed real repairs.

Too bad 'Kill Filters' don't work like they should. Enough people kill file an idiot on a group and they can no longer post to that group. Get kill filed on enough groups, and you can't access any NNTP server.

Michael A. Terrell