Li-Ion for Li-Poly

Hi,

One of my portable DVD players uses a (nominal) 7.4V 2600mAH Li-Poly battery. One cell appears to be toast (*loaded* voltage RAPIDLY drops from ~3.5V to ~1.8V after ~10 minutes of use; other cell holds fast at ~3.5V).

I was thinking of replacing them with a pair of 18650's as they occupy almost exactly the same space (different form factor, same volume -- of course!).

It is my understanding that the charging technique for LiPoly and LiIon are identical (?). I'd prefer not to have to reengineer the charger (microcontroller controlled).

Given my druthers, I'd replace with NiCd but that would require way too much work!

Any other pointers to watch for (besides the usual, "Oh My God! You can burn your house down!!")?

Thanks!

--don

P.S. pointers to a source of reliable 18650's would also be welcome.

Reply to
D Yuniskis