Isolation transformer in place of a GFCI

Almost, such a system could develop line leakage like any other. Then it is dependent on the GFCI.

Reply to
jurb6006

A low voltage, battery-operated system can develop line leakage? How is that? And exactly where in a battery system would one use a GFCI?

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

The charger.

Unless you mean solar, that is different.

Know what ? I think it would be adequate just to use a GFCI breaker AND a GFCI outlet and be done with it.

But seriously, did you mean that they disconnect the charger when the lights are in use ? If you meant that or solar then I was wrong.

Reply to
jurb6006

I envisioned an LED system with a healthy sized gel battery.... charging wo uld take place when the system is disconnected. With the right battery you could probably run such a light string all summer and only need to charge i t a few times. With a solar array, never.

Leaving a charger connected would defeat the purpose. And some chargers wil l only charge until the voltage level is met, and not restart unless discon nected anyway. A battery maintainer or tender would likely be smart enough to charge when the voltage drops. But it's a moot point.

One thing I can say with certainty here is that the 120V string of lights a bove the pool MUST GO!

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

above the pool MUST GO! "

I used to do electrical work. Changed out a box and subsequently they wante d me to bid on digging a ditch for power to the pool and garage because the wires were overhead at the time. I had to turn it down because it was just too much PITA. If they had called on me before the pool was in it might ha ve been different but people do not think ahead. The job was bad enough, ha d to make a new hole for the mains, and it was right in the corner so had t o cut the cover side off an inch or so. I hope they got it done. Thinking a bout it, if one of the wires, even the hot fell into the pool they would be alright until they tried to step out of it. If there was a load and both e nds fell in, ZZZAAAPPP. If both wires fell in from the fed side also ZZZAAA PPP.

Reply to
jurb6006

would take place when the system is disconnected. With the right battery yo u could probably run such a light string all summer and only need to charge it a few times. With a solar array, never.

Of course solar power doesn't work at night, and you don't need lights duri ng the day.

(the moon is much more important than the sun. It gives us light at night, when we actually need it.)

Reply to
Tim R

Of course, the solar cells would charge a battery......

Reply to
Terry Schwartz