HP Laserjet III P problem

Hi everyone, My good old laserprinter suddenly refuse to print with the display showing: "50-Needs service". Anyone know what is wrong? I heard somebody say it has got an internal counter, and after a certain amount of printouts, it display this message though it must not be anything wrong. The counter needs reseting in some way. Anyhow, any advice is appreciated, Regards, Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Toftevall

This code indicates a problem with the fuser. This model series is famous for an underrated capacitor in the fuser circuit causing this code. I'm not a tech, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you further on this.

BTW, a simple check on google gives:

Regards Lee in Toronto

Reply to
Lee Babcock

Sounds like a motor assembly, pretty common, its deep inside the machine = $$$.

get another printer at ebay.com if you want a cheap one.

Reply to
Sarah

50 is a fuser error, there can be several causes but 99% of the time it's a small usually green electrolytic capacitor on the board that controls the fuser lamp (it's near the power supply). If you get that board out and look, you may even find that the cap is leaking or bulging. Replace it, reassemble and you should be good to go. Those are very good printers.
Reply to
James Sweet

Yep as others have said

the fuser or the PSU cap = service 50

You can check the fuser bulb with a meter should read 20-30 ohms

Ref the counter and all that crap... thats on the larger range of Laserjets ie laserjet 5si.. laserjet 8000 etc

Regards Cub

Reply to
Cubzilla

That error means the fuser isn't getting up to temperature. It could be a blown fuser heater lamp, thermal fuse, or the control circuit. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

This site should have a repair manual for this. It should show you how to disassemble and check the components...Do a search for Laserjet 3 or such...

borgunit2003