Hearing aid design

I had dinner with an acoustic engineer and asked about your hearing aid problem. He said it was possible and offered some hardware suggestions, which I scribbled down somewhere. However, he mentioned an important point which you should consider if you build your own device. Since you can't hear much at about 3KHz, if you drive the earphone with too much power, you risk creating additional hearing damage. You can't tell if the hearing aid is too loud (too high an SPL). Whatever you build, make sure that it has some kind of limiter or compressor circuit to keep you from accidentally blowing out your ear drums from a door slam or sudden loud noise. He also agreed that

500-2800 Hz is about all you'll need for speech.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks for looking into that for me Jeff. I would be very interested to see those notes when you find them. Yeah I'm sure there's no limiter in the 12.00 model either. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

I'll guess that there is some kind of limiter or compressor inside. The manufacturer certainly doesn't want to be sued for blowing out a customers eardrum.

The recommended earphones are ear buds from Etymonic Research. I think these are the ones. They're in the ear rather than over the ear. The idea is to prevent feedback from the mic.

$80... ouch. Note that the EP can deliver a max SPL of 120dB, which is the level capable of trashing your eardrum. You'll need a limiter or compressor.

I can't decode my notes for the source of a directional electret microphone. I'll ask again. I recall he mentioned that a lapel microphone would be sufficient if you used in-the-ear buds for isolation. Also, 55dB gain at 3KHz is overkill. 30dB should be sufficient to get an improvement, without risk of feedback or blowing out your ear drums.

Also, my caffeine deprived brain just had a good idea. Use an iPhone or iPod Touch as a hearing aid. Well, it has already been done:

There are probably other apps.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Just wondering if you have a print out of your hearing test, if you got one. I had a print out on my test, which was ordered by my doctor. I passed mine.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You could always turn it into an electronic stethoscope. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

I bet that was painful. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

ed

I do, and to a certain extent it looks like an RIAA equalization curve. I do notice though, probably due to the directional nature of high frequency sounds, that if I cup my hand over my ear the intelligibility does definitely improve. So maybe a parabolic reflector for each ear? Remember the horns people used to carry around with them before electronics? At some point I might need a traffic cone, but seriously though, I have a 16 channel stereo graphic equalizer that I'm presently not using. I think I'll set up both channels in tandem and experiment with that in front of the TV with some ear buds. I can simulate about 25DB on each band and I would expect that I would hear a difference with that kind of response. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

ed

Incidentally I did appreciate and looked at the different types of aids sent to me in this thread and it seems like all of them amplify "ambient sounds". None of them seem to have band pass attributes. For me this would be a problem as my low frequency response is fine. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

ly

ny

ned

ter

hat

ssed

someone mentioned using SoundCard in your PC look at Daqarta's website:

I think there are tools to check/verify your hearing using your own system.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I'm interested in your results because I have a similar problem, and had a similar experience with the examiner. This was several years ago, and the price mentioned was about $2000 per ear. When the examiner offered to postpone his vacation several days to process the order I was certain that he would be receiving a large part of this - so much so that I declined to continue.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

What we need here is a cheap DIY shotgun Microphone. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Here's an 8" parabolic Mic that could be used for watching tv.

Down Page.

Reply to
amdx

I like the iPhone idea. Could have frequency response and variable limiting. There are a few amplifier circuits on the web, but I had yet to find one that's smart. Directionality usually requires a stub sticking out. I'm not aware if good amplifiers employ any directionality except for in ear types.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I got a horn for my birthday !!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The doctor who advised me the hearing aids from in Atlanta was so fit about getting just the exact product and effective. I require to get someone like that in our new city.

wilianswilim

getting just the exact product and effective. I require to get someone like that in our new city.

You should better start with a speaking aid. Your spam is almost un-readable.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia