Fridgidaire FAA087P7A3 8000 BTU window

We just got a Fridgidaire FAA087P7A3 8000 BTU window unit to cool a garage area. It is equipped with a "dongle" type power cord which includes some sort of arc fault detector in the event the power cord is crushed. It appears that all the protection "works" are in the power plug. I am contemplating a permanent installation of this unit in a wall sleeve and wiring to a dedicated junction box.

If I remove the existing power cord / dongle. Can I wire directly to a dedicated circuit?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I'd guess it's a GFCI (if you're in the USA). Not so much if the cord is crushed as if there is electrical leakage or a short circuit to ground in the unit itself.

Assuming this is correct, functionally you can remove it but your warranty will be void and your fire/home owners insurance may be at risk if something bad should happen.

So what's wrong if it plugs in?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

IIRC the arc protection is required for bedroom outlets. You can buy a suitable breaker to be sure and safe and add it to that line.

"The new arc fault circuit breakers are identified in section 210-12 of the

1999 edition of the National Electric Code. Beginning January 1, 2002 they will be required to protect branch circuits that serve residential bedrooms. These areas of the house have been identified as the source of many electrical arc related fires. The state of Vermont has taken a slightly more aggressive stance. They are requiring that these new life saving circuit breakers be used in all circuits that feed residential living areas. Their regulation goes into effect on January 1, 2001.

These new arc fault breakers can be purchased now in every state in the USA. These breakers are the same size as your existing traditional circuit breakers. The new arc fault breakers cost about $25 - $50 each depending upon manufacturer, but it is a very small price to pay for peace of mind. An experienced electrician can install a new arc fault breaker in a matter of minutes. It actually takes longer to remove and replace the cover to the circuit breaker panel than it does to switch out the breaker."

NSM

Nope. Arc protection is the new idea.

NSM

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

If that's the case, just go ahead and remove it, I've not yet seen a window AC that had one of those in the first place.

Reply to
James Sweet