Ellusive microcontroller

I'm trying to locate the overall system controller on a video board, that handles IR remote, physical keypad functions and power on/off of main power supply etc. Mulilayer board of course but all I can find is dedicated digital video processing chippery. This is quite a thick pcb , does anyone hide SMD controllers recessed within the thickness of a pcb? there is a mysterious black piece of plastic in one area , well bonded to the pcb but no outline of anything underlying it

Reply to
N_Cook

I warmed up and lifted that patch and nothing hiding underneath. I've managed to identify, surprisingly, all chippery , all 29 SMD devices with 8 or more pins and all are dedicated video /audio/MUX/memory /op-amp packs etc, with pinouts etc avaialble for all , but no uC or PIC found for system control

Reply to
N_Cook

handles IR remote, physical keypad functions and power on/off of main powe r supply etc. Mulilayer board of course but all I can find is dedicated dig ital video processing chippery. This is quite a thick pcb , does anyone hid e SMD controllers recessed within the thickness of a pcb? there is a myster ious black piece of plastic in one area , well bonded to the pcb but no out line of anything underlying it

It could be integrated in the video processor, it is in most digital decode rs for TV.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

handles IR remote, physical keypad functions and power on/off of main power supply etc. Mulilayer board of course but all I can find is dedicated digital video processing chippery. This is quite a thick pcb , does anyone hide SMD controllers recessed within the thickness of a pcb? there is a mysterious black piece of plastic in one area , well bonded to the pcb but no outline of anything underlying it

It could be integrated in the video processor, it is in most digital decoders for TV.

+++++ And so it was. Although no schema for this unit , googling on the 2 main "video " processor chips and filetype:pdf threw up a few detailed schematics, to then targetted probe under the big BGA, to check traces. Is there a special probe for doing this, thin , tough, insulated , with graduations for indicating which row/column depth from the edge ?
Reply to
N_Cook

raduations for indicating which row/column depth from the edge ?

I do not know, but it comes to mind you could use enamelled wire with the i nsulation removed on a small area at one end. Drawing a small scale on the wire may be the hardest part but if you are interested in just a few pins t hat reduces the number of marks to place.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

graduations for indicating which row/column depth from the edge ?

I do not know, but it comes to mind you could use enamelled wire with the insulation removed on a small area at one end. Drawing a small scale on the wire may be the hardest part but if you are interested in just a few pins that reduces the number of marks to place.

+++++ I have some .08mm tungsten wire that is just about stiff enough as a probe , for this Ti ADP2000 BGA could have been larger diameter, laquered over and just the end ground down clean. A refinement I suppose would be contrasted markings along the laquer for row/column spacings, I think up to 5 deep in some areas of these
Reply to
N_Cook

DDP2000, should have been , too much sun today

Reply to
N_Cook