CRT size vs anode voltage?

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter. Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply out. What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

"mike"

** Have you any idea how a CRT TV even works?

Horizontal deflection and EHT are derived from the same circuit.

Some smaller sets use the PSU as a source for both the above.

Removing the EHT supply is simply not possible.

BTW:

Colour sets have mostly 20kV to 26kV on the tube.

Small B&W sets might be closer to your range.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, I do, thanks for asking.

So? I didn't ask for a lesson in TV operation. I asked for advice on how big a TV to get for 10-15KV.

Methinks you need to be more creative. I'm CERTAIN that I can saw off the portion of the board containing the flyback transformer and associated parts to build the supply I need. I'd just like to start with a transformer/voltage multiplier designed for the range of voltage I need.

Yes, I know smaller sets might be closer. Just would like to have some idea of how much smaller. I've already got 5KV supplies. I don't need to acquire any more free E-waste than necessary.

Thought some TV repair guy might have a rule of thumb on the tip of his tongue.

I'm still optimistic that someone with more interest in answering the question than denigrating the questioner might show up.

Reply to
mike

There isn't one.

Dunno about free but google cockcroft-walton voltage multiplier.

Don't forget the megohms series resistor.

old guy

Reply to
John Smith

Are you saying that a 5" CRT is likely to have the same high voltage as a 20" CRT?

Reply to
mike

Folks asking for sources of parts sources should state where they are located.

The TV (cheap/free) HV section would likely require considerable effort and additional circuitry to reassemble a working circuit, which would likely then be iffy as far as reliability and safety issues, especially when utilizing used parts.

A new HV PSU, often contained in a compact metal enclosure, from a surplus supplier would be a much better option IMO.

Places like Fair Radio Lima OH may have new surplus HV modules/supplies made specifically for CRT equipment (not TVs) which may only require a common AC input voltage, and include a HV lead.

I bought one of these types from Fair Radio years ago, to replace a CRT HV supply in a large engine analyzer with a 10" CRT.

CRT HV supplies in TVs can be from ~1.5kV for small portables to over 30kV for large table models.

There are likely new surplus electrostatic HV supplies available from surplus suppliers.

There are probably numerous DIY plans online for HV supplies for all sorts of demonstration and experimental purposes.

HV supplies are also used in oil furnaces, and various other types of commercial/industrial equipment.

--
WB

"mike"  wrote in message
>I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
> Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
> out.
> What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?
>
> Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
> also be helpful.  I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.
>
> Thanks, mike
Reply to
Wild_Bill

That seems too high for a typical plate cleaner. 10 kv will arc at about 1 cm.

5kv seems more reasonable. It's usually easier to find positive supplies. Is it an ion type cleaner ? I use these for low current.

gregz

The down side of an ESP (electrostatic precipitator) is that it generates oxides of nitrogen and ozone, which rots lungs and rubber parts. Anything that produces a corona discharge, will also produce ozone. Most of the complex design of the ESP plates, panels, and wires, are to minimize ozone production. You might want to borrow or rent an ozone meter to be sure your contrivance works. The ozone monitors are not cheap:

More:

etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

How about using an oil burner transformer? IIRC they're about 10KV or so...

Reply to
JW

You might want to look at a scope chassis from something like the Tek

2213A/2215A. The power supply and EHT circuit is very simple and could easily be isolated, its about 14KV. You could probably saw out the power section. JC
Reply to
Archon

I dare say. That is in the power range of dental x-ray machines.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk