Converting 1960s Fender amp for 240V UK use

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson"

** That is utter bullshit !!

I have personally seen 120 VAC Phase Linear 400s, here in Sydney running on a step down tranny and doing fine.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"petrus bitbyter"

** Of course I am - thouasands of examples prove it.

** Yawnnnnnnn....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Jeff Liebermann"

** Bollocks.

** What that produces is a 165 volts of DC.

Dickhead.

** ROTFL !!

** The amp works just fine on a standard step down tranny.

Just like 99% of all amps made for 60 Hz power.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Correction. It's fairly easy for *me* to build a 50 to 60Hz switching inverter.

Oops. I forgot it was for UK power. US power is 117Vrms Pk-to-peak is 2 * 1.414 * 117Vrms = 330 V Pk-to-pk Double that for UK power.

Judging by your typical acerbic remarks, I'll consider that a relative compliment.

Well, it is a bit large, noisy, inefficient, expensive, messy, and overkill. But, it will do the job.

One could probably just slow down a 60Hz gasoline portable generator to run at 50Hz, but that would be too easy. I don't think the generator noise will be heard over the music belched by the typical Fender guitar amp.

The xformers that burn up are the one's that are operating close to saturation at 60Hz. That's usually near maximum rated xformer load. Run those on 50Hz, the core saturates and gets hot. The same xformer, run with a much smaller load, works just fine.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

** Grandiose bullshit.

** You forgot about the DC component - among other crucial errors.

Dickhead.

** No it ain't - f*****ad.

** Totally INSANE.

Like you.

** Other way around - dickwad.

** FFS - I know the actual amplifiers.

YOU do not.

Piss OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A couple of clinchnuts instead of the one closure fixing, for a now

2-section Black & Decker lawnmower connector and looks almost professional. Earthing pin set into the side , black epoxied and shrouded over, not quite so pro looking.
Reply to
N_Cook