are there salvagable parts in a Sharp LCD tv

The neighbor has a Sharp LCD tv, small screen size but rather thick profile, with a cracked screen.

The glass in front isn't cracked but if you turn it on there's a nice pattern of cracks radiating out from what looks like a small impact site.

We're trying to figure out how to dispose of it without paying the recycling fee. It's $25 per unit for electronics here. Would there be any components in it worth salvaging? I dunno, power supply, memory, something like that?

Reply to
Tim R

le, with a cracked screen.

tern of cracks radiating out from what looks like a small impact site.

ing fee. It's $25 per unit for electronics here. Would there be any compo nents in it worth salvaging? I dunno, power supply, memory, something like that?

If it's an older model and of small size, there's not much value. The best way to get rid of it is to put it in your car with a price tag on it (like you just bought it) and park at the mall with your windows down. Go get a n ice cream in the mall and the problem will correct itself.

Reply to
John-Del

file, with a cracked screen.

attern of cracks radiating out from what looks like a small impact site.

cling fee. It's $25 per unit for electronics here. Would there be any com ponents in it worth salvaging? I dunno, power supply, memory, something li ke that?

st way to get rid of it is to put it in your car with a price tag on it (li ke you just bought it) and park at the mall with your windows down. Go get an ice cream in the mall and the problem will correct itself.

Tried that, ended up with two more.

Reply to
Tim R

file, with a cracked screen.

attern of cracks radiating out from what looks like a small impact site.

cling fee. It's $25 per unit for electronics here. Would there be any com ponents in it worth salvaging? I dunno, power supply, memory, something li ke that?

st way to get rid of it is to put it in your car with a price tag on it (li ke you just bought it) and park at the mall with your windows down. Go get an ice cream in the mall and the problem will correct itself.

Save for the fact that the item will then wind up on the side of some road somewhere for the taxpayers to remove, or not.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I have no idea where you are, but here in Eastern PA, Best Buy and Sears recycle electronics at no charge. Not that there are too many Sears remaining. You might investigate that option.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Currently Best Buy is the only option, and they charge $25 per.

I'm hoping for an amnesty day locally, even if I have to drive a bit. The local landfill operator has a consent degree that may force them to do this.

Reply to
Tim R

rofile, with a cracked screen.

pattern of cracks radiating out from what looks like a small impact site.

cycling fee. It's $25 per unit for electronics here. Would there be any c omponents in it worth salvaging? I dunno, power supply, memory, something like that?

best way to get rid of it is to put it in your car with a price tag on it ( like you just bought it) and park at the mall with your windows down. Go g et an ice cream in the mall and the problem will correct itself.

LOL!

I love Peter like a brother but sometimes the lad misses the point...

Reply to
John-Del

That what God made black trash bags for. The pickup guys can't see what it is and refuse to pick it up.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

I suffer from heightened sensitivity on this matter. Our summer house is in an enclave surrounded by a larger 13 acre plot and on a private lane. The main road nearby passes a gully on the larger plot - two years ago, the own er of the plot took out 60 yards of crap - mostly large appliances and elec tronics, not the expected tires and demolition debris. She spent several th ousand dollars from her very limited fixed income based on the laziness of others.

Yes, we all pinched in - but she was still massively out-of-pocket.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

The plastic microprism sheet makes an interesting lamp shade, with the spectrumming effects

Reply to
N_Cook

Take it apart and cut it into small pieces and put it out with the trash. That's why God made the reciprocating cut saw.

Reply to
tom

Whether stuff is worth salvaging depends on how much you get paid, what you have in stock etc. So there's no way we can know. There are certainly things in it you can make stuff from.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

This is the electrical industry. Not the garbage hauling industry. We can forget that, occasionally.

Now, I realize that you're trying to be a modest good samaritan, however at some point shouldn't you tell the neighbor that this is a trash transportation and disposal issue. Is their's to deal with. Not your's.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

I went to BB a couple months ago and found out they hadn't been free for

18 months. Time flies.

I don't know if this will lead you to something in your state or not. It's about 20 miles so I'm planning on taking everything I've got.

Reply to
micky

You could try looking on e-bay to see whether others have successfully sold any of the PCBs with the same part numbers on them. Perhaps selling a couple of the boards would get you nearly enough to pay for the disposal fee for the rest of it.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Donate it to a local rifle range. They always need targets to blast into pieces.

Reply to
oldschool

Once again proving your ignorance. No rifle range in their right mind would accept that trash to shoot at. I suppose you're one of those that dump your trash along county roads at night too.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

Wait! isn't this the guy who burns his plastic trash illegally? And then blames the "Government"?

I spent years on a shooting team in my misspent youth (and have the medals and patches to show for it). I shot on ranges from Texas to New England and points between. No range of any repute would accept any sort of trash for targets.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Words typed by an ANTI-AMERICAN who according to this sentence, claims he lives in America. An ANTI-AMERICAN who not only prefers to buy China made items, but an ANTI-AMERICAN who promotes China made items as being superior to those made in America. An ANTI-AMERICAN who likely refuses to stand for the Star Spangled Banner, and who kicks dirt in the faces of American war Veterans.

My suggestion for this ANTI-AMERICAN: Get the hell out of America. You are not welcome here. Move to China where you belong.

Reply to
oldschool

Slow down, take your meds then call your carer.

(Another clown who thinks that the internet is American!)

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to