A magnetic question

Tinkering around with coils and magnets, motors and stuff got me thinking ( Ouch that hurts)!! I noticed how easy some Alnico magnets were weakened by being amongst some stronger magnets. So my curiousity question is : where does this magnetism go? does it make the other magnets stronger?

Thanks to you guru genius people out there. Regards, David

Reply to
David Sewell

Assuming the strong ones are rare earth magnets, they don't get weaker (at least not significantly) in demagnetizing the ALNICO magnets.

Think about what was happening when you brought the magnets together. What you had to do, what the magnet had to do, etc.

More thinking, yes it's a strain on the brain. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

If you are thinking conservation of energy, it does not apply here in any easy to explain way. Magnetization is a special arrangement of magnetic domains (dipoles). A strong external field can rearrange the domains (dipoles) of a permanent magnet and weaken it or even obliterate it (return the domains (dipoles) to a completely random alignment).

This is a complex subject and the above is simplistic, but short and to the point.

Reply to
Charles Schuler