Subject Author Posted Replies

Correct name for Test lead plugs
What is the correct name for the old style test lead plugs that used to be used on older inexpensive VOMs? They were NOT banana plugs. They were thinner. Same size as the test probes, but much...
6
6

What type of capacitor should I use?
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old paper/wax caps in old tube gear? I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be electrolytic caps. I am referring to...
30
30

Magnavox 1K8870 8 track cassette player/recorder, need owners manual
I had this unit in my basement for I don't remember how many years. An old guy gave it to me. He said that it worked and he thought that I could use i t. So did I. I think that was about 20 years ago....

Your car computer-hacker Controlled?
-- (16 minute clip onward)

Most common faulty part in old electronic gear
Regarding this kind of switch: When it comes to working on old electronic gear from the 1950s thru 70s or 80s I keep reading the most common fault are the old paper/wax capacitors and electrolytics....
4
4

Capacitors: UF = MFD but what the heck is NF?
40 years ago, back when I did a lot with electronics, capacitors were either F (farads), UF or MFD microfarads, (UF and MFD were the same thing), or PF (Picofarad). Now they are using NF. What the...
13
13

keyboard plastic PCB repair?
Hello folks, did anyone suceeded in repairing traces on that old plastic sheet printed circuits keyboards? Some traces are interrupted and it's impossible to solder on that kind of plastic/trace...
7
7

Mitsubishi HS-M55 - with rods ? ?
Hi everybody Ages ago I bought the Mishibishi HS-M55 to be used for taping music only, a t half speed. I was extremely pleased with the high quality machine. The performance was impeccable and the...
1
1

Thermal pad disintegrating
This is a bit weird. I have an audio power amplifier that uses what looks like strips of pink silicone sheet between the output transistors and the heatsink. But these strips have degenerated and are...
21
21

retiremen tof telco copper
Got a notice about retirement of copper Most important will dialup modems and fax work? A while back almost had to because squirrel ate my line My line comes in from back of house but power from...
6
6

A useful addition to your toolkit
Replace the existing connector with a BNC, add a bit of series resistance and you have a *very* cheap current probe for your scope.
38
38

SD card pops out
Is it advisable to put duct tape over the SD slot to keep it from popping out - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice....
3
3

Chip failure and air corrossion products
Anyone any insight on this. Failure of 34 year old TTL chip, in unpowered storage. Just 1 of 50 chips on a board, TTL,4000, analogue, memory etc. Only this one had silver tarnish looking appearance of...
35
35

Lubuntu Linux - moving files only half works.
Downloading from FTP with Filezilla; The HDD got full so I transferred as many files as possible to 3x 32Gb USB sticks - The sticks are showing that they now contain around 29.5Gb, but the free space...
20
20

VX2835WM Died. Try Again?
I love my Viewsonic Monitor VX2835WM ! Failed a few years after purchase. Repair and worked for another year. Failed again. Started showing funny grainy splotches related I think to a color. Then...