Re: how and why? newbie question

Hiya,

> > Ive got a few questions and im a little puzzled, > > Basically im new to embedded linux (not linux been using it for a > while build my own distro with LFS)

Then all you are missing is cross compilation :-)

> How do you determine whether a microcontroller/evaluation board is > suitable for embedded linux??
32 bit, MBytes of storage and RAM (for smaller systems there are better fits)
> Whats the point of putting it in something with no screen or > ethernet,?
  • Posix programming model.
  • Ported to almost anything (like Xilinx Microblaze) - you can choose the architecture that fits your application!
  • Need an application? Recompile it for your target.

> What are the benifits?
  • Device drivers for almost anything are ready. Serial ports, USB, hardisks, flash memory, ...
  • Infrastructure.

> What are the best sources for learning how to create an embeddded > linux system?

I like the book "Building Embedded Linux systems" by Karim Yaghmour (ISBN 0-596-00222-X) [Will fit your distribution building skills] and

> im not interested at present about buying a board, just reading about > it is good enough for the time being

You do not need to buy a board, use one of those i386 - Pentium class computers that people trows away as your target.

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
SkellefteƄ