Linux for medical applications, validation?

Hi

I am looking for information about the use of Linux in medical application / instruments. Has a version of Linux f.ex. been validated and accepted by the FDA for use in medical instrumentation. Espceially primary devices are critical (the doctor decides threatment of the patient directly on the information from the instrument and a wrong measurement/display can kill the patient).

Any help/information is highly appreciated!

Best regards

Kasper

Reply to
KMP

HW (eg:FPGA) for the critical paths of their medical/aviation instruments. They will run Linux as a thread within that RTOS environment, and it will be used to provide all auxiliary services (bells and whistles) such as network access, report storage, remote operation etc... Also I've heard that some companies provides Real-Time, Proprietary streams of linux for second level medical applications. Try companies like Green Hills. But have not heard linux being used for primary medical/aviation devices yet. If anyone knows of one please drop in a post. I am interested in such an implementation since I work in second level medical instruments. Cheers Janaka

Reply to
Janaka

Google groups are playing funny buggers with my post: It should have read :

My understanding is that most critical medical/aviation apps will run a bonafide RTOS or HW (eg:FPGA) for the critical paths of their medical/aviation instruments. They will run Linux as a thread within that RTOS environment, and it will be used to provide all auxiliary services (bells and whistles) such as network access, report storage, remote operation etc... Also I've heard that some companies provides Real-Time, Proprietary streams of linux for second level medical applications. Try companies like Green Hills. But have not heard linux being used for primary medical/aviation devices yet. If anyone knows of one please drop in a post. I am interested in such an implementation since I work in second level medical instruments. Cheers Janaka

Reply to
Janaka

Thanks for the information! If I find out more will I let you know

Cheers Kasper

Reply to
KMP

If you _want_ to use Linux and you _need_ an approved OS, you need to run both side by side. This is possible using a virtualization manager. The one I know about is PikeOS by

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell