Simple Generator

I had some neodymium magnets lying around, and some Lego, and I've never actually seen some simple electromagnetic things in action -- you know, the stuff they illustrate in physics books, but it's so basic it's not worth doing a lab on. Kids' science fair stuff, right?

So I build a Lego gadget that turns a wheel, with 6 cylindrical magnets at the rim of the wheel, cylindrical Z axes aligned with the axle of the wheel (magnetic poles alternating N/S/N/S/N/S). Then I hold a little bobbin of magnet wire up close to the spinning magnets and look at the voltage across the coil with an oscillscope.

What do I see?

Why don't I get a nice almost-sine wave?

d.

Reply to
dave madden

If you're talking about DSCN0256, it's because you're looking at the
magnets end-on.  Try aligning the axis of the coil so that it's
looking at the magnets radially instead of axially.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Wrong...

Align the coil axially with the magnets, but place it along side
them.
Reply to
John Fields