? RE LCR meter reading

Just got an LCR meter for Christmas, and in testing it out find that it's readings vary rather wildly before settling down to the expected value when hooked up to a toroidal coil I wound and turned on. This surprises me somewhat. Any ideas on why the initial wild readings before it settles down?

Thanks, anyone who answeres.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

depends on the method of measurment... what brand/model of lcr do you have ?

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to

Thank you, Jean-Yves.

It's an Extech 380193, and I am connecting to the coil via the short probes that come with it. Like I said, it ends up with the expected value, just does so after a few seconds of wild variations...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Perhaps it is showing you its approximation sequences. Maybe it is slower to reach 'balance' than with a cap.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Aahhh. I'll bet that's it. Thank you. I guess I was ecpecting instantaneous readout, but the user manual actually talks about this. Should have paid more attention. :"

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave