Looking for Power Switch - Optonica Amplifier SM-1515B

Can someone recommend a source for a replacement power switch?

It is a toggle type snap switch for an Optonica SM-1515B stereo amp. Hole spacing is 1-3/8 inch. 120V.

Picture:

Thank you. John C.

Reply to
JohnC

You'll be lucky to find one of those without having to buy a thousand or so on special order I reckon.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I am curious -- What's wrong with the switch?

It's such a simple component. Are the internal contacts burned or worn?

Reply to
EADGBE

Most likely. As the contacts are not replaceable you need to find an exact replacement and there lies the trouble.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In message , Eeyore writes

Need it be and 'exact' replacement? Maybe it's time for a bit of creativity and improvisation?

--
Ian
Reply to

Would any SPST switch with an adequate voltage/current rating suffice (presuming it fits where the old one did)?

Reply to
EADGBE

Looks to me like a fairly generic paddle switch.

It was probably marketed under the brand name "Panasonic". It may be a stock design.

If you're looking for an exact replacement, here are some places to look:

(1) Authorized parts sellers for the brand of equipment you are trying to repair.

(2) Distributors for the brand of part, in this case Panasonic.

If you're looking for an near replacement, here are some places to look:

(1) Electronic parts catalogs for places like Newark, Digi-Key, and Mouser.

(2) Surplus and remainering houses like Jameco, All Electronics and Parts Express.

You are looking for a part with the same number or more contacts, with contacts rated at the same or more amps and volts, and one that is the same size or smaller. Mounting centers should match or be smaller.

Your replacement strategy may include fabricating a sheet metal bracket that bridges any possible gaps.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Aside from the detail of fitting in the same hole, absolutely yes. Do ensure you get a type suitable for *mains* switching.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Another viewpoint: Just permanently connect the wires (and apply proper insulation), and switch the amp on and off with a correctly rated switch in the mains lead. Or, maybe even better, leave the amp powered-on.

The hole of the original switch can be filled either with the now non-functional switch, or a nice power-on indicator. Add some creativity here ;-)

YMMV, Folkert/NL

Reply to
FJ

That's ghetto, much better to fix it right, you might be able to disassemble the switch and repair the contacts.

Why would it be better to leave the amp on all the time wasting energy? That stuff isn't free.

Reply to
James Sweet

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

The switch that needs replacement is actually fine electronically. In fact it is always on. The problem is with the snap action mechanism. The switch lever took a blow to the side and broke some key plastic rocker parts that allow the snap action to function. Any SPST switch rated at 120V, 1 amp? will work but my preference is to maintain the cosmetics. Switch should be OFF in the down position and ON in the horizontal. I thought this flat lever switch was fairly common but perhaps I was mistaken.

I viewed some of the recommended sites but came up negative.

John C.

Reply to
JohnC