PID Controller implemented on FPGA

Hi.... I am a student of MS Systems Engineering, I have been assigned a project titled as "FPGA Based Field Controller(PID)". Currently I am in a study phase, I would be thankful if some of you send me some literature or papers that describes that how PID controllers can be implemented on FPGA. Looking for your positive response.....Umair Siddiqui

Reply to
Umair Siddiqui

Hi,

We've designed many PIDs. No specific difficulty. Be cautious with the derivative part however. Estimating the derivative is much trickier than it may seem !!!

And be careful if you want to insert digital filters in the loop (but it's all taught in the DSP courses).

It's fun to see this "prehistoric" regulator working. Afaik, it's still used in some modern designs for PLL control. We used it many time to control actuators with feedback. (In fact, one PID design has just gone through all tests successfully)

Make sure you implement an easy way to adjust PID coefficients on the fly in real time (we used RS232, and also JTag with ISMCE for this purpose).

If you want a board ideal for this kind of experiment, try our Tornado board ! Everything is on the obard, from ADC input to power outputs and/or RC servo control.

See

Umair Siddiqui wrote:

project titled as "FPGA Based Field Controller(PID)". Currently I am in a study phase, I would be thankful if some of you send me some literature or papers that describes that how PID controllers can be implemented on FPGA. Looking for your positive response.....Umair Siddiqui

Reply to
info_