Multiple Core generator MAC FIR Filter 5.1 Cores

Hello all,

I am trying to generate several MAC FIR Filter cores for the same project. The filters range in length from 32 to 63 taps. I do not have any problem generating the core, but have noticed that the core generates a MIF file with a default name of "DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif".

For example, if I generate a filter with the name my_fir, all the files, including an additional MIF file are generated with the name my_fir.*. However, the MIF file pointed to in the my_fir.vhd file is DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif.

This is not too much of a problem if you have one such core. However, I would like to have several. So for my case:

my_fir_1.vhd my_fir_2.vhd

each generate DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif (the second core generated overwrites the first file). In order to simulate the cores, Modelsim wants the DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif for each of the cores in the simulation directory. I tried changing the vhd file to point at the my_fir.mif, but the simulation does not work.

I am hoping that this is just a simulation problem, and that synthesis will look at he my_fir.mif instead of DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif, but I would like a simulation of this model before moving to hardware.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply to
vt2001cpe

Additionally, I have noticed that the my_fir.mif contains a correct hex copy of the coefficients. However, the DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif has incorrect values. Regenerating the core does not correct the discrepancies in the mif files.

Reply to
vt2001cpe

I created a completely new project and the DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif file now contains the correct taps, but in a different order. I assume the ordering is based on how the core chose to optimize the filter.

Additionally, I found that I had pathed the DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif file incorrectly in the my_fir.vhd file. Everything now works as expected. However, I still believe that Xilinx should modify the DATA_COEF_BUFFER.mif file to be named something unique, thus allowing for multiple cores in a single directory. If someone has a better solution, please let me know.

Thanks!

Reply to
vt2001cpe

You might want to try using FIR compiler core instead of the MAC FIR. I believe it has less bugs, although I am not sure.

Keep us informed about what you find!

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

I think you are right. However, the FIR compiler does not allow you to use 18-bit coefficients along with 18-bit data.

Reply to
vt2001cpe

It doesn't seem to mind it here... Might depend on other settings though...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM