What are some ballpark/benchmark figures for royalties for using a protocol stack (or such other embedded software)?

OK, this is one of those questions with an "it depends" answer (which obviously it does). Still, I am sure there are some industry benchmarks. The question is: how much should be considered a fair price to be paid as royalty (or licensing fee) for use of embedded software (like a protocol stack)? What are some models that can be considered? Any ballpark/benchmark figures?

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

Isn't the usual rule "all that the market will bear"?

Reply to
David R Brooks

Yes, for sure, but I am also sure that there are some benchmarks or at lease some relevant examples someone might be able to give, and from which one can learn something.

Reply to
ElderUberGeek

the first 'retailer' of a GMS stack wanted over a million.

now I think that if you go to the right vendor you can have it free with the right quantity of silicon.

tim

Reply to
tim.....