Visual tool for encoding/decoding registers

Hi,

I'm really going insane using calc as my hex to binary tool, counting bits with my cursor and cross-referencing that with the datasheet. There must be some tool out there that displays this more elegantly.

For example, i define a simply set of bit fields:

status[0-3], reset[4], port[5-10], and so forth

and then i enter the register value and automatically get the decoded bit field results. It could even go further and tell me what the specific value means (status = 2, device failure, status = 3, device ok, etc. from rules i predefine). I know automatic driver generators (like Jungo's) probably has this but i'm looking for a free tool.

If that doesn't exist, what do you use to decode/encode your registers ?

TIA

Reply to
pavius

Hello!

For Power PC where MSB is called "bit 0" (in AMCC documentation) I use following macro (for 32-bit registers): #define PPC_BIT_32(first, last, value) \ ((last)

Reply to
Pawel Sklarow