Using a PIC microcontroller to interface with a DS1302 real time clock

I'm not sure if posting this is a good idea. The question is posted in here, but I would like a second opinion to further help my moves on the debugging process. Feel free to ask me for more information that may help.

ssylee

Before starting with these kind of developments, it is better to do some loopback check. Check if you are able to connect the Tx and Rx and get the desired output on the console. I think , it should be problem with the Crystal connections . Check if you use the proper capacitors at the necessary places as they play a key role w.r.t clocks. Cross-verify with the PIC (PIC18F2620) manual for the proper values .

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Though you would have got the info, i would like to clarify it as it can mis-lead other newbies. For doing the LoopBack check, you need to configure and use the serial port. It is not connecting the Tx and Rx alone without any software running in the PIC.

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

What do you mean using a loopback check? You mean on the microcontroller or the RTC?

Reply to
ssylee