Typical flash-based storage features and performance

How you system behaves depends on the OS and drivers I guess. With tests we did on Windows XP embedded we found that the entire system could freeze for more than 50 ms when the flash disk was exercised heavily. This effect disappeared with an UDMA capable flash disk, and the CPU load dropped from 100% to barely noticeable in that particular test.

Reply to
Patrick de Zeester

Finally, I was able to get 12/14 Mbytes/sec sustained write/read performance with Lexar CF card bought in the nearest WalMart.

The interface is in PIO mode, using a home made board (not a PC). This kind of speed can be accomplished only for the sequential read/write of the big blocks of data (~100kbytes or so). For the smaller blocks, the speed is going to be much slower.

The other CFs are not as fast: typically about 7..8 Mbytes/sec read and

1..4 Mbytes/sec write.

It seems like the hard drives are going to be extinct pretty soon.

Vladimir Vassilevsky