the metrics of dma performance

I know that DMA plays an important role in current onchip communication architecture of many microprocessors. But I don't know what kind of metrics we can use to describe the performance of a dma design. For example, channel numbers, transfer speed, logic resources occupied... Is there any paper or articles describing the difference or giving an comparision of different structure of dma?

Reply to
Zhengyuan.Quan

The fastest DMA is using the clock itself. Slower ones use divided clocks. You could have multiple simultaneous channels and they could be of smaller width than the cpu. That's about it.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Even slower ones are implemented in the processor microcode rather than hardware. Like the original NEC V-25.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

... snip ...

I remember rejecting that for a 64180 about 20 years ago, because its DMA access was slower. Both units had the same maximum clock rate at the time. The difference allowed me to capture the front end data burst.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chuck F.