Semi-OT: Killing RFID credit card?

Quite a lot of those suffered from the principle that the RF sticker would work for ODD numbers of RF stickers, EVEN numbers together often gave cancelling effects, at the door exit scanners.

The other principle that fooled a lot of exit scanners was put the RF sticker at the same height as your heart, as some scanners assumed you would be carrying the items in a bag near the floor, and did not want to do anything at pacemaker height!.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

I've heard that about a lot of British food. :(

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"ian field" wrote in news:qc8Xh.2708$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net:

I got the idea from an accident with a HeNe laser I was trying to make pulses from with one. Worked once, tube laster for years, but I recently tested one carelessly, the arc hit glass discharging into the gas inside. I noticed a lack of lasing pulses, so started playing around, knowing it was dead and suspecting why. The gas flashes became pinkish, then blusish, then blue, then negligible as the tube pressure went up to air in minutes. The glass had several very tiny neat holes, they looked like minute bubble flaws. I bet the plastic card might not show anything if you killed the chip with a single spark. As you say, high current, and a very clean very tiny puncture. A pulse laser finely focussed could do no better, probably.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Not enough lard for American tastes!

Reply to
ian field

British food is now officially Indian, things have changed

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Lard? I remove as much fat from my food as possible, whether animal or vegetable. Do you want a couple gallons of orange lard to make soap?

I cook almost all of my meals because of my health. My cholesterol is within the normal range, without medicine. I have cooked almost all of my meals for over 35 years.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Its not PC to microwave Indians.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wrap it in aluminium foil except when you want to use it.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Until McCain revolutionised the world with Micro Chips ;-)

A notable quote from the instructions: "Shake the box to seperate the chips - extra space has been allowed for this." Explains why there are only three chips in the box.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

"Tom Lucas" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@proxy01.news.clara.net...

Just as well - they taste like papier-mache anyway!

Reply to
ian field

Some car accessory shops sell rolls of self adhesive bright aluminium foil trim strip, this mightbe used to mask the antenna, alternatively a more covert method might be paint on a shorted turn with silver loaded paint.

Reply to
ian field

They're alright if you take them out of the box and deep fry them.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Some nice spark discharges to the vicinity of the RFID chip should fry it. Cap discharge will provide short sparks w/o significant currents. THe mag stripe is more sensitive to magnetic fields so you would erase that with a bulk eraser without affecting the RFID chip. To do the reverse, high E fields which are allowed to collapse by transient arcing through the semiconductors of the RFID chip. Magstripe won't give a flying flake about any of that.

One of those joke circuits, with an interrupted current through an inductor could be used, provided you keep the circuit WELL away from the card and lead the output over with a wire.

Otherwise, wait until winter, walk across a wool rug and put the card, RFID chip closest, on the door knob.

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

And the response is -- JUST DON'T USE A DEBIT CARD, EVER.

Debit cards are not "not so well protected" they are NOT protected at all. There is no law or regulation in the USofA, and I doubt EU or British systems are much better, which protects the user from fraud.

We don't have one, so far we've been able to get ATM cards which are NOT pseudo-credit cards. Although it has taken some yelling with at least one bank.

Debit cards - just say "Hell NO!"

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

"Kevin G. Rhoads" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu:

Wrong, and badly confused. The pulse coil gas ignitors put out a high current, yet you say that capacitor based systems do not. Static charges from a carpet have higher voltages, smaller currents, and are less likely to work, yet you say this will do it. You've totally ignored existing posts which have a better grasp, then spread nothing but confusion as if you're the first person to even think of a spark as a method. Your tone talks like the A Team flying in to fix it with a swagger, but if you can't walk the walk, why bother? Even the A Team looked at what they were going into first. And they were funnier.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I read your post. All your feed-back to me could be applied to what you posted pretty much unchanged -- if I wanted to do that. Besides which you offered pretty much no technical advice at all, just critiques (and in my opinion, not very good ones -- you take my words out of context and twist them to mean something else and then criticise that newly created meaning, e.g., "The pulse coil gas ignitors put out a high current, yet you say that capacitor based systems do not." No, I didn't say that. I never mentioned gas ignitors. I never mentioned pulse coils. You brought all of that yourself. Then you criticised the result. You didn't respond to what I wrote, but some fantasy you created that has perhaps a vague resemblance to my writing.)

As for assuming that I have stupidly ignored prior posts, I don't think the evidence supports that. My news reader didn't show lots of other replies when I replied. Of course, you, in your Gallimaufrean near- omniscence, just missed that, I suppose.

If you (generic, not you in specific) WANT to read stupidity into a post, you (still generic) can always find it. So, why do you (specific, not generic) chose to do so?

I am not impressed by your criticism; I find most of it off base and irrelevant. I do see, and thank you for pointing out, that there were places I could have well been clearer. Perhaps I made the assumption that all readers would have some ability at logic, not to mention the ability to actually read what was written, both are clearly mistakes for UseNet -- as you have made so abundantly clear.

My apologies for stressing your understanding beyond what it could deal with. I begin to understand how you could have lost your way back to Gallimaufry (?sp). I hope you will recover soon from whatever injury or illness so limited you to mere human levels. Perhaps you will find your misplace Tardis, and return for the medical treatment you need to return to your ordinary near-omniscience. Since that beyond human understanding that you expect of yourself is so clearly lacking.

Sincerely (no illusions of beyond human competence and understanding) Kevin

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

How dare you post in c.a.e without a complete and encyclopedic knowledge of Doctor Who? Knowledge of the Sylvester McCoy years is of course optional, and any knowledge of the so-called followon products after McCoy actually earns negative points; those new products are mere merchandising with no hint or flavor of the Doctor Who mythos.

Reply to
larwe

Sorry, just clueless, I guess. I really haven't considered much past Tom Baker to be ... well anything.

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads

Seconded.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

I doff my hat to you, sir, as a purist. There aren't enough such people in the world.

Reply to
larwe