RS-232 to GPIB Conversion?

I'd like to run one GPIB instrument from my laptop. Yes, I know I can buy a converter, but they're really expensive and won't let me add any smarts to the conversion. Should be able to hang a PIC processor right on the GPIB, do some local processing, then ship it out the RS232 port to the user interface on the PC.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, is there a reference design for such a device? I only need a very tiny subset of GPIB functionality.

Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID.
mike