PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!! - Page 2

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

The MSP430F149 is really great, but not without problems. I haven't
checked documentation recently, but I experienced major problems with
the ADC by clearing ADC12IFG manually. It won't stay clear, even with
the ADC powered down. If you read ADC12MEMXX instead, it behaves. Now
that is a workable workaround.

Regards,
Mike.

--
Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE           www.eclectic-web.co.uk

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
So do you get erroneous readings 100% of the time? Or some of the time?

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
Hello Grzegorz,

I'm sorry to hear that
    1) It turned out to be silicon issue
    2) The workaround is unsuitable for your requirements.

999 times out of 1000 it turns out to be firmware (thank goodness).

Their 'workaround' also explains why my app works without fault.

Best Regards,
Patrick Gomolchuk

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

The major drawbacks of the MSP430 series (I've used it in about a dozen
projects) are:

- No 5V versions and IO not 5V tolerant.

- No versions with external bus- although there are versions with plenty
of RAM and flash, it would be nice to hook it up to some fast peripherals.

- The FLL clock oscillator requires a PhD and a brain the size of a
small planet just to read the documentation.

- The built in reset isn't very reliable. Always use a separate reset
IC- I use MCP100.

And that's it. Everything else about it is wonderful. The GCC port is
pretty reliable, the serial download works beautifully (haven't had much
luck with JTAG, largely because the GNU driver is flaky under Windouch),
lots of powerful peripherals, lots of programming examples in both C and
assembler, active support groups.

Paul Burke

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

That's definitely a drawback.

The msp430 has a single address space of 64k - there is not much left over
on the chips with large flash and ram.  The single address space is *very*
nice, and part of what makes the chip far more "C friendly" than the AVR.
If you can get away with a bit lower speed, you can make a databus out of
normal port pins - of which the msp430 has plenty.

Indeed - a few simple examples would make things a lot easier!  But once
you've got it figured out, you can do nice things like use the internal (low
power, low cost, low accuracy) oscillator to provide the main high-speed
clock, and use a 32kHz crystal (low power, low cost, high accuracy - but low
speed) to continually calibrate the internal oscillator.

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

Most of them have quite big holes. Only the ones with 20-odd K of RAM
fill up the address space at all. And most fast peripherals only want a
few K (mine wanted 4k).

Yes, I was brought up with a single 64k space, 6800s through to 6809s.
Wouldn't want to change that. (except to make it a 1M linear address
space, but that's next year)

That's the drawback. Just can't stand the low speed, ended up using the
horrid 89C51RD2 and pouring power over it. I just want some of these
spare pins optionally made into a bus.

Paul Burke

Site Timeline