OT: file comparison tool

Hi,

A colleague showed me a slick Windows app that seems quite handy at comparing/synchronizing folders from various sources (local filesystem/devices, SMB/NFS shares, even "FTP sites"). E.g., compare this directory on FTP server A to this *other* directory on FTP server B, etc.) As such, serves the role of various UN*X tools like rsync, diff, etc.

Unfortunately, I only got a brief chance to "play" with it (I'll see if they have a demo version for download). But, it actually appears to be intelligently written (e.g., multithreaded so you can be doing several operations at the same time -- even in the same "window/tab"; "downloading" the next file while comparing the previous file, etc.)

[Unfortunately, there appears to be at least one screwup in the implementation that severely impacts performance in certain cases]

Name of product is "Beyond Compare". I'd be interested in any feedback from folks (beyond my colleague) regarding it. It seems like a worthwhile tool for working under Windows (UN*X has its own way of addressing these problems).

[standard disclaimer applies]
Reply to
Don Y

Many people use it where I work. It's the recommended tool we tell customers to use integrate our example code into their app code. It has it's quirks but they can be overlooked for all the goodness that comes from it.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

have a look at:

and:

This is total commander and this part of the program is only a very very small portion of the whole package.

Registered version is $44usd and well worth it.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

http://www.dontronics-shop.com

All Olimex products now 60% to 95% off normal Olimex Prices.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olimex-ltd.html
Many other items discounted up to 95% off.
Also discounts on FTDI modules, Sparkfun, CCS, SimmStick, etc.
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I've been using Beyond Compare for longer than I can remember - it has become an essential tool.

Regards, Richard.

    Designed for simplicity. More than 113000 downloads in 2014.

    IoT, Trace, Certification, FAT FS, TCP/IP, Training, and more...

Reply to
FreeRTOS info

personally prefer thus:

to Beyond Compare

There's definitely a feature that AM has that's missing in BC, that I couldn't live without *(though I forget what it is)

Reply to
tim.....

Yes, I have an old version of Araxis Merge, here. But, the sorts of things that it tries to do I tend NOT to do on a Windows machine (I do most of my development under BSD).

The appeal I found in BeyondCompare was the fact that it treated local folders, NFS mounts, SMB shares, FTP folders, etc. in the same way.

I was "exposed" to it just as a quick way for my colleague (using Windows) to pull a chunk of my repository off one of my servers. *I* would have just done: get foldername.tgz and exploited server-side compression instead of trying to pull down

*all* the files and folders in that hierarchy (with BC).

Reply to
Don Y

It's wonderful! Over the years we've tried most of the other diff/merge tools and this is the one we always come back to. There are also Linux and OS X versions. The software is ridiculously cheap and a multiplatform licence is also available. And there's tech support.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

..

I agree with others that BC is a great comparison tool, the only niggle is that it can't handle large text files (>512MByte). The developer told me several years ago that 64bits support is on their long term road map.

I then found a low cost editor called PilotEdit

which did the job. It is no match for BC in terms of features but for comparing large text files it works like a charm.

Hans

HT-Lab

I remembered what it is

BC only show you that this-line is different

It marks that whole line in its output

AM just marks the different characters. Invaluable if all you've changed is (for example) an array offset

tim

Reply to
tim.....

When I run my version of Beyond Compare, I get color coding in the line to show what is different and what is the same in the line.

Maybe this was added since you last used it.

Reply to
Richard Damon