Newlib, gcc, adding a file system

The arm-none-eabi GCC port and it's accompanying newlib (I got mine from Codesourcery but I suspect this applies to all) clearly has hooks in it to add a filesystem into an application.

I've Googled around and haven't found anything that seems to really be definitive -- Is there any really good documentation on how to do this, preferably from the point of view of the newlib developers?

TIA.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

In the source tree, look in libgloss/ (sibling to newlib/). There are various implementations of the I/O layer, from "nosys" which does nothing, to simulator syscalls, to various os-specific layers. The libgloss library lets you provide low-level open/read/write/close/exit/etc functions. Newlib's I/O functions (like stdio) are built on top of these.

Most ports just have a write() equivalent that's used for debug printfs, and exit().

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I referred to this when I did it:

(It is rather old now)

In general it is probably a useful approach for larger projects. But it does bring in all of stdio, malloc and so forth. So it can severely bloat the code if you don't really need it.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

What I'm doing qualifies as a "larger project" in that regard. I'm using some off-the-shelf software that's going to be happier with stdio and malloc -- I'm probably saving work by at least a factor of 3:1, while using more memory at a factor of 5:1 or so. At the anticipated sales volume for the product, it's worth it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

page 7

Said so: for an application I used FatFS:

you just have to implement the low level calls, it's quite straightforward.

Hope this helps

Bye Jack

Reply to
Jack

I've used that too, a really nice little system, very easy to incorporate into a project.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

tto:

om

,

ard.

Yup, I've also used the above pair; only a tiny bit of work to integrate.

Reply to
Dave Nadler