Ethernet type 6950 not documented

Curiously I see on a LAN Ethernet type 6950 packets. Type 6950 isn't assigned so I can't imagine what that traffic might be -- other than a proprietary packet type.

Does anyone know whether 6950 is assigned but the numering authorities are simply slow to update their documents on the Internet?

Reply to
Harry Roberts

Harry Roberts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@linkline.comSPAM:

Hmm? I searched my copy (rfc1700_Assigned Numbers) for 6950 and nothing. Perhaps I'm out of date also?

Who is sending you this packet? So you know what top level software it orrigionates from? What sort of data does it contain? What happens if you respond with the same number?

I'm sure new protocols & numbers have to be tested before they are assigned.

DaveC

Reply to
DaveC

It's an unassigned number so I have to assume that the company that's using it has proprietary software that's making use of the number.

It's on a WAN that some of my own software is running on which routes and filters -- can't tell you who. But when I see 6950 I discard it since it's nothing I understand.

I think I'll ignore it. :)

Reply to
Harry Roberts

Harry Roberts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@linkline.comSPAM:

Well you should :).. the internet was not made so that people could send random unassigned protocols around. The whole point of it is that every one knows what is going on. Even on a WAN, Even on an Intranet, Even in your home between two computers.

What happens when this number is assigned by another group and you update your OS? The world would be chaos :)

Check that there is not a list of non officialy assigned numbers. I'm sure people developing protocols will need a number before sending datagrams over the net, in order to test it. If not then be a good chap and complain to IANA.

UDP is the only User protocol, I know of, that may be used to send proprietry datagrams around.

DaveC

Reply to
DaveC