Embedded Linux - Delay control implemented for Marvell 88E6352/1 also works for 88E6320

Hi,

I have faced a problem with communication via Ethernet switch Marvell 88E6320 connected to the Xilinx ZynqMP chip via RGMII interface. The whole problem and its resolution is described here:

The solution simply applies to 88E6320 chip the method to control the RGMII lines delays implemented for

88E6352/1 chips. Please note, that as documentation for 88E6320 is not available, and the whole solution is based just on code analysis and experiments. It worked for me, but I can not give any warranty.

The solution was successfully tested on Petalinux

2017.4, that uses the 4.9 Linux kernel.

After resolving that problem I have investigated the newest kernel, and found that it still lacks the RGMII delay control for 88E6320 (of course my patch for 4.9 is useless here as the whole implementation is completely different). The definition of mv88e6320_ops structure in

does not set the .port_set_rgmii_delay field. Basing on my experiments, and review of the code, it seems that adding the:

.port_set_rgmii_delay = mv88e6320_port_set_rgmii_delay,

line in the definition of that structure should switch on the RGMII delay control for 88E6320. The appropriate delay control function should be defined as follows:

int mv88e6320_port_set_rgmii_delay(struct mv88e6xxx_chip *chip, int port, phy_interface_t mode) { if ((port < 5) && (port != 2)) return -EOPNOTSUPP;

return mv88e6xxx_port_set_rgmii_delay(chip, port, mode); }

That ensures correct communication with the switch in boards where the necessary delays are not provided by the MAC or careful adjustment of PCB track lengths.

Unfortunately, I can't run the newest kernel on my hardware to verify that the proposed solution really works.

With best regards, Wojtek

--
Wojciech M Zabolotny, PhD
Institute of Electronic Systems