differences between queue and pipe in nucleus?

I have been looking up documents on queue and pipe.The messages in queue are 32 bytes long,while several bytes in pipe.Is there any difference else between them?would someone tell me please?

Reply to
zhurp

Huh? What are you talking about. What system, software, etc.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (zhurp) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

None that I can see. I think RTOS's need to have IPC mechanisms that people are used to seeing in order for people to believe them to be complete. I can imagine, however, that if you truly need to stream bytes to another task, a pipe would be more natural than a queue. E.g. I use queues to send pointers to objects to other tasks since my pointers are

32-bits wide.
--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

CBFalconer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

He said "Nucleus" in the subject line which is the Nucleus PLUS RTOS from Mentor Graphics (actually Accelerated Technologies, Inc. but Mentor bought them). It's a pretty nice little RTOS - easy to use.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

I don't know anything about this "nucleus" but are you sure messages in nucleus queues are 32 bytes long not 32 bits long? If they were 32 bits you could use them to send ints and pointers to message buffers.

Regards Sergio Masci

Sergio Masci

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (zhurp) wrote in news:97122bdc.0310091902.1095a3c7 @posting.google.com:

Queue starts with a 'Q', Pipe starts with a 'P'. Oh, and Queue message sizes are specified in 32 bit words, whereas Pipe message sizes are specified in bytes. I think that about covers the differences, at least all the ones I could find.

--
Richard
Reply to

"Sergio Masci" wrote in news:8Qzhb.19$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net:

The message sizes for Queues are specified in 32 bit words, the message sizes for Pipes are specified in bytes. That, and the name are the only differences I have discerned between the two in Nucleus Plus.

--
Richard
Reply to