Compact flash capacity

Hi,

Does anyone have sufficient experience with CF devices to know if the sector count reported by (for example) a 512 MB CF device is such that all 512MB devices will report the same figure?

I've heard of CF devices containing bad sectors, and was wondering if the CF's controller did anything clever like 'mapping out' any known bad sectors (e.g. at fabrication time), which would lead to slight variations in reported device capacities.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Fussell

No first hand experience, but my personal opinion is that it would be a serious mistake to assume that they would.

I believe that they maintain a hidden reserve of good sectors to map in. I also wouldn't be surprised to discover that they could run out of hidden good sectors and start mapping out "physical" sectors.

There's at least 4 of the internal CF controller chips on the market and they all appear to be quite different from one another, so I don't think you can make any clever assumptions about how bad sectors are handled.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No, they dont. Manufacturers round up and down and use 1000 or 1024 as basis for a KB/MB. Just like with harddrives, cards vary by a few percent.

Marc

Reply to
jetmarc