AVR32 with Floating Point Unit *is* available

Mentioned this in a different thread but gave no info on tools.

You have to use the IAR compiler right now, but an AVR32 gcc with floating point support should be available early December 2010

The production revision rev D has Ethernet, but that is not present on the current development kit which has rev C silicon. A kit with Ethernet, should be available early next year.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

Thanks, Ulf; this is good to know.

Nicholas

Reply to
Nicholas Kinar

Ulf Samuelsson a écrit :

Glad to know, at last you decide to associate an FPU companion to AVR32 engine. Are here your apologies about giving up AP7000 line ?

Habib

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

I also wish that AP7000 would not have been pushed into a "Mature" product status. Although this is unfortunate, most of these marketing decisions are probably not made by Atmel's engineers. IMHO, many decisions to drop chips are most likely done by Atmel management and investors based on projected market demand, and this is regardless of whether a product is good or bad, or better suited for some applications than others.

I don't think that AP700x is dead yet (at least I hope not). I've head from rumors over at the AVRFreaks website that there's probably something planned in the near future. The real culprit is fluctuating global markets, which are affecting us all, particularly in the electronics industry.

Reply to
Nicholas Kinar
2010-11-11 18:26, Habib Bouaziz-Viallet skrev:

Never apology for decision's I didn't make.

I know that the focus on UC3/XMEGA chips instead of AP7 has payed off handsomely in the mobile phone market for Atmel, resulting in share prices going through the roof at the moment.

The UC3C was put very high on the priority list at that time, which shuffled the AP7 down below some critical level.

Hope you can enjoy it.