Subject Author Posted Replies

Are packed structs slower AND safe?
In one of my projects that run on a Cortex-M0+ MCU, I have a few arrays of structs. Now I need to increase the size of the arrays, but I'm out of RAM, so I'm searching for ways to save some space in...
1
1

How to write a simple driver in bare metal systems: volatile, memory barrier, critical sections and so on
Even I write software for embedded systems for more than 10 years, there's an argument that from time to time let me think for hours and leave me with many doubts. Consider a simple embedded system...
19
19

Multithreaded disk access
As a *rough* figure, what would you expect the bandwidth of a disk drive (spinning rust) to do as a function of number of discrete files being accessed, concurrently? E.g., if you can monitor the...
22
22

Convert 16x2 chars display to big TFT display
I have a CPU board that interfaces to a standard 16x2 chars display, based on HD44780 controller. I'd like to replace this display with a full-color big TFT display, maybe 10", but I can't change the...
13
13

Sr Java Backend Developer - Ashburn VA / Piscataway NJ / Alpharetta GA / Dallas TX / Tampa FL
Hi We have an immediate Openings with Our Client for a long term contract posi tion Position #1 Job Title: Sr Java Backend Developer Location: Ashburn VA / Piscataway NJ / Alpharetta GA / Dallas TX /...

Stack analysis tool that really work?
arm gcc and Cortex-Mx MCUs embedded systems. Is there a compilation-time (static) tool for stack analysis that really works? The best I could find is -fstack-usage and Perl script, but I guess there's...
37
37

Shutdown behavior and flash storage devices
Hi All - I'm wondering what other folks do about this issue... Consumer flash storage devices (USB memory stick, SD card, etc) have a nice internal wear-leveling controller. When one does a write...
14
14

Books on LoRa(WAN)?
Hello, I'm looking for a book to get a bit into LoRa and LoRaWAN. Should be in French, English or German. Any recommendations?
1
1

64-bit embedded computing is here and now
Sometimes things move faster than expected. As someone with an embedded background this caught me by surprise: Tera-Byte microSD cards are readily available and getting cheaper. Heck, you can carry...
58
58

more on arm asm.
Jonathon - I'm in the testing phase now but, thankfully, strictly 32 bit code. One trick I've found that's been helpful is "fasmarm", which is an offshoot of a 386 assembler. The name is, if memory...

Embedded linux serial port
I used a simple driver for serial port in Linux with success in many projects, but recently I found an issue with it. The scenario is an embedded Linux (running on iMX6) that runs a QT application...
2
2

Array of bits
Many times I need to pass to functions or serialize an array of bits. If they are just a few (8-16 bits), I decide to use a standard array: uint8_t my_short_array_of_bits[16]; void...
10
10

Udev-based serial number dependent symlinks for PCIe UIO devices
I'm working at a system, where a server manages multiple PCIe data acquisition cards. Each card has its individual serial number available in the extended PCIe configuration space. The cards are...
4
4

Re: examples of arm assem.
ARM has at least 4 instruction sets: 1. The classic 32-bit ISA (32-bit instructions operating on 32 bit data) 2. Thumb compressed 16-bit instructions (operating on 32 bit data) 3. Thumb-2 compressed...
8
8

Can ST Cube IDE do 32F4 execution time profiling?
The internet is full of posts from people tearing their hair out trying to use this tool :) I have it running OK although 99% of it is a mystery. And the code which the configurator generates is crap...