Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Norway (ping David B)
Hi, I watched _Troll Hunter_ last evening (hint: don't enable English audio... just English subtitles!). Obviously, a "found footage" film. But, how much of it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek vs....
17
17

M2M GPRS/UMTS SIM cards: how the data traffic is calculated and charged?
I'd like to use a M2M SIM card in one electronic device. Of course, I would use data (IP) connection over GPRS or UMTS link. There are many offers on the market depending on the mobile operator, but...
5
5

voltage to force translation ?
A transducer or sensor is connected to Force measurement unit. When force is applied to sensor, Sensor Developments Inc. PMAC 2000 Force measurement unit displays the Force in Newtons. On back of PMAC...
6
6

Managing power in off-chip components in SoC designs
Hi, I'm trying to squeeze every last mW out of some deeply embedded designs. To do so, I'm opting to power down "external" peripherals/support kit when not required. But, so far, it's been pretty much...

PCIExpress stack
Hi I have no knowledge of PCIExpress protocol. The questions I have are: (1) where do I start to learn PCIE protocol ? (2) I am an experienced embedded systems programmer. How long would it take to...
3
3

Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 8
I have an older design program that I need to open the help package. I found this page at and tried downloading an executable for my Win8 machine. But it seems this will only run on a 32 bit OS and...
7
7

OT, Linux: bash can't see a file that's there, really!
Sorry for the OT post, but I figure I'll get a quicker, more useful response here. Brand new computer, Xubuntu 14.04 instead of Lubuntu 12.04 I just copied over my Codesourcery directory to...
20
20

What measures should I take to make this multi-thread safe?
Hello, My FIR design is good for a single thread. Now, I am required to make several threads using the same FIR under TI-RTOS. The manager says the FIR should be a generic one. And every thread should...
4
4

Memory testing
Hi, For moderately large to very large memory (DRAM) subsystems, what sorts of policies are folks using to test RAM in POST? And in BIST (presumably more involved than POST)? The days of...
15
15

eBook formats
Hi, I have a boatload of books, papers, etc. in a variety (too many!) of different formats (TXT, PDF, PS, CBR/CBZ, MOBI, EPUB, DOC, RTF, etc.). I'd like to pick *one* format and convert them *all* and...
18
18

OT: Book rec.
Hi, Anyone have firsthand experience with: _Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences_ by Tenner? Or, anything along similar lines? I'm curious if its a fluff title...
2
2

TTS "specification"
Hi, I have a few synthesizers that I've created (to explore different approaches, resource requirements, complexity, quality, etc.). Application is *semi* limited domain; i.e., I know *many* of the...

Networking Problems
Can anyone recommend a newsgroup to get help with networking problems in Windows 8? Most of my Internet access seems to have died last night. I don't have an idea of what caused it. I can ping some...
8
8

Unusual experiences you have encountered while debugging ?
[or the day I looked into the face of Hell. :-)] And now for something a little different. :-) What experiences have you had during debugging an embedded system that make you really wonder out loud...
11
11

How to configure digital output in Renesas RH850/FIL Micrcontroller ?
I need to configure pin AP0_14 for digital output. To achieve this I need to write 0 to bit 14 of 16-bit Port Mode Register. The physical address of this register is: 0xFFC103C8 What should be the...
4
4