Looking for CTS256 (text to speech processor from the 80-ies)

The CTS256-AL2 is a text to code processor. It converts English text to phoneme codes used by the SP0256-AL2, which is a speech generator. It is all stuff from the 80- ies, but it would be great fun to do a little project with this chip... Any speech chips appreciated. Please let me know if you can help me.

Thanks.

George

Reply to
GdB

Maybe you can find something on the Texas Instruments TMS5220 with a custom Acorn ROM I played with in the eighties/nineties in a bbc-b computer. That unbelievable computer had a socket reserved just for that purpose. And no, I dont have the chip or computer anymore.....

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

The other speech chip I recall was the SC-01. Had many pre-programmed "speech" sounds - sound "parts" that could be played by the CPU in strings to make pretty convincing "words" in english (and maybe some parts of other languages if you wanted to try ?)

I saw this used was on several of the Gottlieb system 80(A) pinball machines.

In the game "Caveman" (1982) it even synthesised very realistic "cricket chirp / jungle" background sound effects as well as I vaguely recall. (though they might not be that exciting by modern "sound blaster" standards.)

Sound board in that was pretty basic 6532 processor system.

Reply to
KR