Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Capacitor Tester
I dont have a capacitor tester. (Well a very small one on my Digital meter) I want one that is good general use. Some seem to only go to 100 or 200 uF. I think you really need something that goes to...
30
30

current regulator
The block diagram shows this as a closed-loop regulator, not just some jfet sort of thing. The high minimum voltage and unspecified capacitance/speed limits its use, but it is cute.
14
14

What size of surface-mount components is good for a beginner?
Greetings one and all I am laying plans to start working with SMT for the first time. Would 0805 components be a suitable size for a beginner, or would another size be appropriate? I have been a...
31
31

A balanced 12AX7 based buffer
I'd like to "design" and implement a simple 12AX7-based buffer for musical instrument DI purposes. I'd like the output to be balanced for ... no good reason at all beyond having balanced inputs to...
7
7

The wiper in a variac
I have been thinking about the way a variac works. One thing that puzzles me, is the wiper design: If the wiper is too narrow, the output voltage will cut out when the wiper is between two turns of...
7
7

Trickle charge C-type NiMh?
I have some inexpensive 220 mAH C-type Ni-Mh batteries, The equivalent 3300 mAh C-Types I bought a couple of years ago specified charging with 330 mA for 16 hours, but these new ones have no charging...
6
6

A question about relays
I was poking around in my truck the other day and had cause to open up the starter relay. (not the solenoid, the relay that energizes the solenoid) I was amazed at the size of the contacts. They were...
21
21

Anyone here know BLDC motors well? Hobby ones particularly?
I want to use a hobby BLDC motor to power a compact high speed spindle to be used for engraving and the like. Mainly because they are so compact for the power and speed. I cannot find, for a price I...
5
5

Using a TO-220 heat sink
Hi, To attach an LM317 (for example) in the TO-220 format to the corresponding heat sink (see link below), is it useful to apply any thermal paste in addition to the flexible mat that comes with the...
41
41

Place Marker
That's right, in between the spam. Everything after this post is post the latest batch of spam, and everything before is...before.

(plastic) optical fibre
Hi, I want to learn a more and experiment with optical fibre, especially for communication. Does somebody here have any experience with this (at a hobbyist level)? There seams to exist a kit called...
11
11

Torque Vs Speed curve of the Stepper motor
Hi, Does torque vs speed curve tell anything about the acceleration and deceleration characteristics of a stepper motor? Farah
7
7

Psu for valves
I wish to experiment with valves (or tubes, if you prefer) and I shall begin by building a power supply. What voltages (at what currents) should it supply? Where may I find circuits? Naturally, the...
20
20

mystery tool
In a hardware store, I saw a rectangular bar, 10" long, with two through holes, labeled "MAGNETIZE" and "DEMAGNETIZE". Presumably it has a battery compartment, though I didn't check. What's inside?
4
4

Even Tesla Missed This Low Hanging Fruit Calculation
Apparently there are some really basic [no brainer] calculations that everyone somehow missed. I can't say anything because I missed it as well even though I knew for years they were looking at fly...