Why Electric Motors Are 3X - 4X More Efficient Than Internal Combustion

pole

coal that

Most SO2 can be removed by reacting it with lime and then dumping the gypsum into a stack.

Maybe Hg, Pb and other heavy metals are a bigger issue w/ coal.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

ole

oal that

Diesel puts out more and exactly where you don't want it.

Check with The Trucker but I understand that semi-rigs will soon be required to be retrofitted with cat converters like cars ~ $10,000.

California just prohibited ships from burning of cost effective bunker oil within 25 miles of the coast.

Some cancers were 500 times more prevalent near Long Beach than the inland deserts.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

I meant to say that. Really.

Before people "fix" gasoline-powered cars, which don't need fixing, they should do something about diesels. Diesels are a serious pollution problem.

And those coal plants in China.

John

and after considerable analysis and looking at the

that CO2 emissions case harm to the planet, our economy

be right ?

by more than 50% that question would be a good one to

2 orders of magnitude more than CO2 emissions?

What activity would cause that?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

and after considerable analysis and looking at the

that CO2 emissions case harm to the planet, our

to be right ?

by more than 50% that question would be a good one

None. It was to show that O2 cannot be considered a pollutant, since it does not 'endanger public health or welfare' (to use the Supreme Court definition) until we change the concentration very significantly.

Reply to
Rob Dekker

For trucks it is a question of filters and not a question of catalysts. The particulates can be filtered out.

Same deal. Particulates can be filtered.

--
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers
of society but the people themselves; and

France is merely part of a large continent so it imports pollution from the surrounding countries but I wouldn't be surprised if thier air IS cleaner than the average.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

and after considerable analysis and

'beyond reasonable doubt'

health as well.

entirely.

human activity.

human activity.

to be right ?

irrelevant : The Supreme Court made a

others.

water.

on the planet by more than 50% I'm sure

role.

planet and our heath and need to be

to deal with SOME CO2 sources.

'water' argument.

so ever on.

Considering it came from Rob Dekker, that's hardly surprising ! Maybe he ought to learn about the carbon cycle ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

EPA to > deal with SOME CO2 sources.

I'm glad you have such faith in the courts.

That means Gore's film DOES contain lies and errors as determined by a British Court.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Diesel particulates emissions is already being increasingly regulated successfully in the EU.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In the EU, diesel cars now have cats and some at least have special particulates traps which burn them off harmlessly AIUI from time to time. We have the advantage too that we switched to 'clean diesel' some time ago, a process that is only now taking place in the USA. Plus vehicle diesel engine design in Europe has become highly advanced. Even 20 years ago I drove a mid-compact Peugeot with a 1.9 litre turbo diesel engine and it was quick. No slugggish acceleration either.

Couldn't agree more.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

deserts.

Bare faced lie.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's not nice Graham. There is no reason for your statement.

Don't get me started. I've had discussions with global warming deniers many times about all aspects of the subject. It has been a big waste of my time. Even hard data gets denied or twisted, similar to how evolution deniers deny data or twist it.

Thank you. I'm done.

Reply to
Rob Dekker

fact

diesel.

that

the surrounding countries but I

Paris stifled by smog shroud :

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dekker

Too many ancient 2CVs I expect.

Funnily enough, once the car of choice for 'greenies'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

internal combustion engines have that unfortunate torque curve which forces you to have a much bigger than necessary engine to compensate for the fact that torque drops at stall instead of increasing. that wouldn't be much of a problem for IC engines running at constant speed, even for longhaul highway driving, but for what most of us do with our cars, it's less than optimal.

ate

ot

Nobody ever thinks about what happens when we run out of electrons. We may have passed peak electrons already.

Which reminds me: "Johnny, do photons have mass?" "How should I know, teacher, I didn't even know they were Catholic"

ly

Little known fact; efficiency of electrical generation is currently half of what it was in Edison's day. Well, it's a trick question, though; Edison was businessman enough to sell off the heat as a byproduct (isn't that what they call cogeneration?) but today utilities, as monopolies, are too lazy too chase that efficiency/cash. too bad for all of us.

Los Angeles then. Modern cars, strictest emission standards in the world, and no coal fired power plants in the area : "Los Angeles Most Polluted US City, According To American Lung Association Report"

Do you want me to continue ?

Face it dude : The ICE is responsible for the majority of air pollution in all cities around the world.

Far dirtier than electricity generation, no matter by which means that is generated. Possible exception are the old coal fired power plants, but only for SO2 and particulates. And it's time these dirty plants get cleaned up too, and they will. The UK seems to have the biggest, dirtiest coal plants with major problems with particulates. Is that why you prefer your Saab with air filter system over EVs ?

If so, then we are talking at different levels. Here in California, "environmental impact studies" deal with issues like "is it environmentally acceptable to have high-voltage wires running through the desert (nature preserve), to reach solar power that are going to be built." That's at a different level than filtering SO2 from coal power plants.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dekker

--
So this cesium atom walks trudges into a bar and the bartender says:
"Why so glum?"

"I lost an electron." says the atom.

"Are you sure?" asks the bartender.

"I\'m positive." the atom replies...