What is the ball for ?

When I drive from state to state, I notice some balls hanging at above

100m above the ground, on the high voltage power cable between the towers. I can't figure out the reason for the use, as the balls would cause wind resistant, making the cable sway. wouldn't this cause some unnecessary technical problem ? can any members enlighten me on this ? Thanks

Best Regards

Reply to
mowhoong

Yep, they are for wire visibility. There is often a landing strip near by. Helps aircraft pilots see the wires...

Reply to
j67230

And pilots who "crop dust"

Reply to
Meat Plow

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:12:08 -0400, in message , Meat Plow scribed:

These are almost always found where the lines cross rivers and canyons, as air traffic will be more prevalent in those areas, and the lines tend to be at a higher elevation than the usual routing. Crop dusting is so prevalent that almost all transmission lines through cultivated land would have to be marked for that purpose, so I don't think that's a consideration.

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist