Tubes in broken spotwelder & other questions

All, I know almost nothing about tubes(AKA valves). My son bought a capacitor discharge spotwelder that uses tubes. It doesn't work. Parts of it do but on the whole it appears that it doesn't charge the caps. There are three types of tubes in the thing.

3 each OA2WA voltage regulators 2 each 2D21 thyratrons 1 each 5U4GB rectifier There are also 6 each physically large electrolytic caps that are, I believe, rated for 450 volts. They are made by Sprague and are marked 200-450. No uf markings though. Apparently a couple rattle when shaken-probably not a good sign. There are two transformers. The first has many taps and the second is connected through a relay to the bank of caps. The secondary of this xmfr is the spotwelder output. As near as I can tell the circuit basically operates like so: The first xmfr provides 450 volts AC which goes through the 5U4GB tube to be rectified and then through three OA2WA tubes which are connected in series. From there the power goes to the cap bank and charges the caps. And from the caps through a big relay to the output xmfr. The OA2WA tubes have only two of the pins connected. So power goes in one pin and then out the other to the next OA2WA tube and so on. It looks like there is no output from the last tube in the series. So maybe this is why the caps won't charge. At least one 2D21 thyratron seems to work because the relay that connects the cap bank works when the machine is triggered. I would like to know how to test the tubes without a tube tester. Maybe this means I will need to make a tester. I also would like to know how to test the big caps. My meter has a cap test function but it doesn't seem to work with these big caps. Maybe this is because the caps are high voltage types. Is it (fairly) safe to attempt charging the caps with line voltage (120 volts) by first rectifying and then passing the current through a resistor and then to the caps? Here is a link to pics my son took of the guts of the spotwelder:
Any comments about the spotwelder would be much appreciated. Thanks, Eric
Reply to
etpm

Round. Shiny. Get hot. They hold the magic smoke so well, it usually spurts out of some other part of the circuit when they break. What more do you need to know?

Probably 200uF, but I won't weep if I'm found to be wrong.

Charging the caps through the voltage regulators would be dumb, and may even overheat the tubes, so I'm not sure I believe it. Much more likely is that they're being used to generate a regulated 450VDC supply someplace (the OA2 is a nominal 150V regulator). I'd claim that they're there to protect the caps, but they have a strike voltage of 185V, three times which is greater than the voltage rating on the caps -- and smart engineers never run their 'lytics at full voltage rating.

Did you find this by measurement, or what? Industrial circuits do thingsn that I find weird so I could be wrong, but I would expect the chain of regulator tubes to end at ground.

Gas regulator tubes like that are basically neon lights, only they're not for making light and the gas mix may not have neon. The gas mix and the electrode spacing is selected for the desired voltage drop. IIRC, those will light up blue or purple if they're working -- but it's been a while. They'll light up with some visible color, although the room may need to be dim to see them. So dim the lights and look.

I would expect that if the circuit has thyratrons in it at all, that they are there for closing the primary power circuit, not for closing the relay. I could be wrong (and those are dinky little tubes, which makes me think I might indeed be wrong), but I'd only feel sure of that if I knew that the thyratron anodes were connected to the relay coil, rather than the secondary.

Have you typed the model information into Google and seen if any schematics pop up? This whole job is really best done if you know the schematic. I think that if I was as far along as you were in this I'd be spending some quality time with the welder, an ohmmeter, a pencil and paper, and tracing the schematic out by hand -- assuming I couldn't find it on the web.

You talk about hearing the relay click -- does that mean that you've had the thing plugged in? If you've had it plugged in and smoke didn't pour out, then it's passed the first test and you can probably safely play with it (well, as safely as you can do any probing around in a circuit with at least 450V on it).

Yes, you can test the caps in the way you suggest, at least to some extent. The one that rattles is probably dead. Charge each one up and note the current it draws when charged up (Google "capacitor reforming" if you want to do the whole dance). Then, if you have a storage oscilloscope, discharge each one through a known resistance and look at how quickly the voltage drops (or discharge one through a big enough resistance that you can watch on a voltmeter). Assuming that they'll hold charge for a minute or so by themselves, when you put a resistor on the amount of time that it takes them to get from full voltage to 38% of full is the RC time constant of the circuit -- if you know the resistance and the time, you can solve t = RC for the capacitance.

If you've had the thing running, and you know how to be safe around voltages like that then I suggest you trace out the schematic, or try to obtain one, then test things in operation (Google for procedures -- 450V can leave you dead before you realize it, and I don't want to be reading your obituary).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Do you know anythng about electronics at all ? Maybe the solid state electronics.

The capacitors marked 200 450 mean they are 200 mfd and rated to run at up to 450 volts on them. They don't have to have that much, just the maximum.

The 0A2 tubes are like big neon bulbs. The show glow a blue color when working. You can look up the voltage as I don't want to. Somewhere around 100 to 150 volts will be required to make them glow. When glowing they regulate the voltage to that value. Only 2 pins are needed for them.

You can get an idea of the capacitors if you have an old analog ohm meter or multimeter. Go to a high ohms scale and see how if the ohms show very low to start with and after several seconds the ohms should go to almost an open circuit indication. This will probably have to be done with atleast one side out of the circuit.

The 5U4 should have a filiment you can see glowing. There are 2 pins connected to the 2 plates. You should get pulsating DC from each plate to the ground or common connection point probably where the negative lead of the capacitors are. If the capacitors are good or sort of working the DC will be steady.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Oops -- I pulled up the 2D21 data sheet but only noticed the following when I went to close that browser tab: " ... designed for use in relay applications ... ". So it could just be there to make the relay work.

I'm a bit puzzled, because unless that's one honkin' big relay, it seems like the capacitor bank is too large to be consistent with just turning it on, but the power transformer is too damned small to weld with. I'm leaving all my ramblings above intact, but check if the welding transformer doesn't just go straight to the input power -- I'm wondering if all the fancy electronics aren't just there to set the timing on the pulse, and the actual welding power is AC (why not?) and steered by the relay.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

[snip]

Bwahahahahaha! Good one! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

The relay works-I saw it working. And it does indeed connect the cap bank to the output xmfr. The connections are obvious. And the relay contacts are big, like a contactor.

Reply to
etpm

Thanks for the reply Ralph. Especially the info about the large caps. I do OK with solid state stuff but tubes are a mystery to me because I have never really needed to work with them or test them. My son has googled for a schematic but so far no luck. It may be that he will need to trace it out himself. Eric

Reply to
etpm

The OA2s are like zener diodes and they are 150V. I would say they have 3 in series to get a regulated 450V to charge the caps, BUT then why are the caps only rated at 450V? I've been working on a device that has an OA2 and an OB2 in series for a regulated 258Vdc. Must be the OB2 is a 108V regulator. Just my 2 cents to add to the confusion. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

If it helps your thought processes... pentodes are similar in function to depletion-mode MOSFETs, triodes likewise, but with lousy LAMBDA ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

A thing to be wary of... I got bit by it when I was still a teen... gas discharge regulator tubes may fail to fire when stored in the dark for a long time, resulting in too high a voltage applied to electrolytics with resultant loss of the magic smoke ;-0 ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

You couldn't pay me enough to spot weld with that thing.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

And thyristors are kinda like SCR's.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

[SNIP]

Eh? Thyristors/SCR's are "both" semiconductors. Maybe you meant to say thyratron ?? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thyratron, yes. Oops.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Why? It looks well built, if a bit old.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

450 volts capacitive discharge to a piece of metal. No OSHA back then.
Reply to
Tom Biasi

It's probably stepped down considerably from that.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

The caps discharge into a large transformer. The spotwelding voltage must be very low, just a few volts. ALL of the spotwelders I have ever used were high current, low voltage. Usually around three volts. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Yes, If the unit is working properly.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

If that's your reasoning then don't use any spot welder.