Sealed Lead Batteries

Hi folks

I plan to use two Yuasa NPO.8-12 12v 0.8Ah gelcells for portable radio amateur rig..

I will use them in France where power is 50 Hz. I see that chargers available here in Canada always specify 60 Hz.

So, do I have to expect some problems?

Thanks

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre Desjardins

It doesn't make any sense to ship something that heavy, only to find that it won't work properly. Just leave it, or sell it of you're moving permanently, and get a charger when you get there.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In Canada the residential line voltage is 110V/60Hz while in France is

220V/50Hz so there are two problems:

  1. The voltage difference must be addresses by a step-down transformer 220V to 110V.

  1. The lower frequency will attempt to increase the magnetic flux of the transformer inside the charger, but its core will be pushed into saturation causing overheating. Remember the formula: Vp (RMS) = 4.44 x F x Np x PHIm? From this derives the rule that the ratio voltage/frequency has to be kept constant to obtain the same flux.

One could have a transformer with a lower secondary voltage to avoid saturation, say 110 x 60/50 = 91.7V but then the charger will not have enough voltage to charge the battery.

Conclusion: As well said by Rich Grise, don't bother taking it to France.

Gene

Reply to
Gene

If I understand your question ... you will probably need to buy a small charger once you get to France.

Reply to
JeB