RMS vs Peak representation of A/C voltage

HV ac probe I have says on the label "6kv peak max". What is the max RMS voltage I can measure (according to the mfr.)? 6k x 1.414 ~ 8.5kv RMS?

Documentation doesn't mention RMS or p-p voltage, only peak.

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

"DaveC"

** Your math is up-side-down.

The max *sine wave* voltage = (peak value) / 1.414

RMS simply has no bearing on the matter.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The RMS value of a sine wave is the peak voltage divided by 1.414 (or peak to peak divided by 2.828). So you will not exceed the 6 kV peak rating if you connect to a sine wave voltage up to about 4.2 kV RMS.

Reply to
John Popelish

Right, there is no way to convert from RMS to any other form unless the waveform is known. Peak voltage is just that. The maximum voltage a waveform will reach. You could have a low RMS voltage consisting of spikes that exceed the maximum voltage.

The conversion numbers such as 1.414 and .707 are for sine waves only.

The peak voltage is usually refferanced from one lead to the other. If a sine wave is measured, the peak voltage will be 1/2 of the P/P voltage. Still across the leads you will only have 1/2 the p/p voltage as one lead will be positive in refferance to the other, then they switch .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thus spake John Popelish:

Thanks to all for correcting my math.