Remote LEDs

I have a client who would like me to design and build a gizmo the does the following:

Two people roughly 5-6m apart. One person needs to signal the other person when a predetermined elapsed time is approaching. (switching on an orange LED) Then when the time has elapsed the person needs to turn on a flashing red LED.

My thoughts so far:

2 jiffy boxes. Box A - two switches, one for each LED Box B - two LEDs The boxes can not be joined together by wire.

Within these constraints does anyone have a suggestion?

Reply to
Dan Stephen

If this is a "one-off" application, the best way to go might be to go to the hardware store and get a couple of RC doorbells with built-in switches in the sender (mounting doorbell) for addressing. You can then take the two wires from the receiver electronics to the speaker, and full-wave rectify that to drive two transistors that drive two small dual coil latching relays, one for orange and one for red. You can have a button on the receiver side that energizes the reset coils, turning off the LEDs.

This setup has the advantage of using replaceable parts, as well as simplicity.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
CFoley1064

You can get similar modules at digikey.

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

Ive been fooling around with a ming xmitter receiver combo lately but after reading this I looked around on the net and found some pretty cheap wireless doorbells......ace hardware seems to sell one pretty cheap...10 bucks or so and Im sure you can find one of these or something similer in your area to play with. Im gonna go to ace and see if I can find one of their just to play with....by the time you order ming components and pay shipping etc.... I think an existing item like a doorbell could be more easily and cheaply modified for a simple project.

Reply to
cornytheclown

Thanks for the ideas, friends.

Cheers, Dan